Subject: [Ntp] NTS time server updated (for debugging)

From: Martin Langer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 15:04:17 +0200

hello Miroslav,

I updated my NTS time server: nts1-e.ostfalia.de (141.41.241.68).
Now you have access to much more debug information (Logfiles).

Additionally, you can see some ID values (e.g. 'value ID', packet ID' 
,...). These are SHA1 hashes shortened to 6 bytes. Maybe it helps you to 
find errors ;)

..by the way. Do you implement the whole NTS draft (including NTS 
secured NTP)?  Does it make sense to define a interface between NTP and NTS?

Webserver (NTP client / NTS server):   http://nts1-e.ostfalia.de
Logs:   http://nts1-e.ostfalia.de/homePi/SERVER/Logs
Binaries: 
http://nts1-e.ostfalia.de/homePi/binaries/2018.06.28/NTP%20v0.4.1%20with%20NTS%20v.0.5.1/
Server key and certificate: 
http://nts1-e.ostfalia.de/homePi/SERVER/serverCert.pem 
http://nts1-e.ostfalia.de/homePi/SERVER/serverKey.pem
Server rootCA chain: 
http://nts1-e.ostfalia.de/homePi/CLIENT/rootCaBundle.pem

best regards,
Martin

-- 
Martin Langer, M.Eng.
Labor Datentechnik
Labor Design Digitaler Systeme

Ostfalia Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften
- Hochschule Braunschweig/Wolfenbüttel -
Fakultät Elektrotechnik
Salzdahlumer Straße 46/48
38302 Wolfenbüttel
Tel. : +49 5331 939 43370
Fax  : +49 5331 939 43372
Mail : [email-masked]
Web  : http://www.ostfalia.de/cms/de/e

---

From: Miroslav Lichvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 17:22:28 +0200

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 03:04:17PM +0200, Martin Langer wrote:
> Additionally, you can see some ID values (e.g. 'value ID', packet ID' ,...).
> These are SHA1 hashes shortened to 6 bytes. Maybe it helps you to find
> errors ;)

Thanks, Martin.

Could you please consider using a different elliptic curve on the
server? I'm getting a "The curve is unsupported" error. I guess the
Fedora gnutls package might be compiled with a restricted set of
elliptic curves. When I try it locally with sect239k1, it works.

> ...by the way. Do you implement the whole NTS draft (including NTS secured
> NTP)? 

Currently, I'm trying to implement only the TLS-based part of the
protocol. For the rest I'll need AES-SIV, which is not supported by
gnutls yet.

> Does it make sense to define a interface between NTP and NTS?

What exactly would that be?

-- 
Miroslav Lichvar

---

From: Martin Langer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 18:18:01 +0200

hello Miroslav,

Yes, but can change it next monday (in 4 days). Is it a TLS cipher or a certificate error? ...I think it is TLS.
If you want I can provide two additional NTS servers with different settings. ...and I add more TLS debug informations .....next monday. :)

sounds great :)
AES-SIV: --> https://github.com/dfoxfranke/libaes_siv :)

It was just a thought. 

Actually, my NTS implementation is a library with a public header for NTP implementations. I have to redesign it because it was a quick and dirty solution, but it works fine. Technically, I can easily change NTS implementations for my NTP. Possibly it is easier to spread NTS, but I'm not sure.

have a nice day :)
-martin-