Subject: [Ntp] draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds - WGLC comment resolution

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 14:18:06 -0400

All,
     First, I want to thank those who provided feedback on the mode 6
commands draft during the last call period. Rather than do a
blow-by-blow response to those comments, I am going to list out my
proposed changes to address the comments provided.

     *If you are not satisfied that your comments were not addressed,
please respond to the list.*

1. I will clarify the limitations on the packet size and the references
to fields within the packet. This should help with readability and
comprehension.

2. The goal of this draft is to resurrect the mode 6 commands from the
now-deprecated RFC 1305. Other than the addition of some new commands,
this document is not meant to enhance the definition of or encourage the
implementation of mode 6 commands. Rather, it provides a stable
reference for those implementations that still support mode 6 commands.
That is why it is an Informational document rather than a Standards
Track one. The abstract and the introduction will be enhanced to make
this point clear to the reader upfront.

3. Several people asked about when should mode 6 commands be accepted
and from who. I will add text to the Security Considerations section to
recommend restricting access to this facility to just those trusted
devices within your network. I will also see what text might make sense
for amplification-type attacks.

I will wait a week or so before publishing a revision with the above
proposed changes.

Regards,
Brian