Subject: [Ntp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 22:20:33 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Guidelines for Defining Packet Timestamps
        Authors         : Tal Mizrahi
                          Joachim Fabini
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-06.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2019-02-11

Abstract:
   Various network protocols make use of binary-encoded timestamps that
   are incorporated in the protocol packet format, referred to as packet
   timestamps for short.  This document specifies guidelines for
   defining packet timestamp formats in networking protocols at various
   layers.  It also presents three recommended timestamp formats.  The
   target audience of this memo includes network protocol designers.  It
   is expected that a new network protocol that requires a packet
   timestamp will, in most cases, use one of the recommended timestamp
   formats.  If none of the recommended formats fits the protocol
   requirements, the new protocol specification should specify the
   format of the packet timestamp according to the guidelines in this
   document.

   The rationale behind defining a relatively small set of recommended
   formats is that it enables significant reuse; network protocols can
   typically reuse the timestamp format of the Network Time Protocol
   (NTP) or the Precision Time Protocol (PTP), allowing a
   straightforward integration with an NTP or a PTP-based timer.
   Moreover, since accurate timestamping mechanisms are often
   implemented in hardware, a new network protocol that reuses an
   existing timestamp format can be quickly deployed using existing
   hardware timestamping capabilities.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:23:01 +0200

Hi,

We have submitted version 06, which addresses the latest comments from
Daniel and Greg.
With that we believe we have resolved all the comments from WG LC.

Thanks,
The authors.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:20 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp
>