Subject: [Ntp] Draft minimzation: did we get the modes wrong?

From: Watson Ladd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 13:10:22 -0700

Dear list,
Do clients send mode 3 packets or mode 4 packets? It seems this draft
( https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-data-minimization-04)
the NTP RFC disagree on this detail.
Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

---

From: Daniel Franke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 16:37:39 -0400

Clients send mode 3, servers send mode 4. I see the sentence in RFC
5905 you're referring to and it seems to be an error. It correctly
refers to client packets as mode 3 and server packets as mode 4 in
several other places, as do previous RFCs such as 4330.

I'm a bit amazed that it's taken this long for anyone to spot this.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 4:10 PM Watson Ladd
<watson=[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp

---

From: Watson Ladd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 13:44:47 -0700

Errata 3126 did spot this.