Subject: [Ntp] Flag day (was Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-22.txt> (Network Time Security for the Network Time Protocol) to Proposed Standard)

From: Watson Ladd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 06:55:38 -0800

>
> Yes, that would help. However, the NTS-KE port is different between
> the implementations, so there will still probably be a flag day.

At least for my implementation it's a configuration detail.

We could start listening on the new port, then drop the old one
slowly. Right now I'm seeing very little NTS traffic, but changing the
ports will take me a few days, so I might do it in one shot unless I
hear otherwise.

I believe at the virtual interim we discussed an IANA early request as
a means to get ahead of the RFC publication process: I'm not sure if
on was made or not. For flags the flags we are using would be part of
the IANA request.

Unfortunately there has been a lot of controversy over flag
assignments, with one implementation and Wireshark asserting structure
on flag assignments that doesn't actually exist. I'd prefer we have a
delineated experimental range and have the flags we were using come
from that, and instead use flags from a non-experimental range, but
maybe I can't always get what I want.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd