Subject: [Ntp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-07.txt> (Guidelines for Defining Packet Timestamps) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 12:27:42 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Network Time Protocol WG (ntp) to
consider the following document: - 'Guidelines for Defining Packet Timestamps'
  <draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-02-20. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Various network protocols make use of binary-encoded timestamps that
   are incorporated in the protocol packet format, referred to as packet
   timestamps for short.  This document specifies guidelines for
   defining packet timestamp formats in networking protocols at various
   layers.  It also presents three recommended timestamp formats.  The
   target audience of this memo includes network protocol designers.  It
   is expected that a new network protocol that requires a packet
   timestamp will, in most cases, use one of the recommended timestamp
   formats.  If none of the recommended formats fits the protocol
   requirements, the new protocol specification should specify the
   format of the packet timestamp according to the guidelines in this
   document.

   The rationale behind defining a relatively small set of recommended
   formats is that it enables significant reuse; network protocols can
   typically reuse the timestamp format of the Network Time Protocol
   (NTP) or the Precision Time Protocol (PTP), allowing a
   straightforward integration with an NTP or a PTP-based timer.
   Moreover, since accurate timestamping mechanisms are often
   implemented in hardware, a new network protocol that reuses an
   existing timestamp format can be quickly deployed using existing
   hardware timestamping capabilities.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.