Subject: [Ntp] "Extensions" vs. "Extension Fields"

From: Daniel Franke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:12:59 -0400

Dave, Jim, Jack, William, Tal, Danny:

draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp has been reviewed by the RFC editor
and is now in AUTH48. I want an opinion from the six of you before I
respond to one of the proposed edits.

The RFC editor has proposed to change several uses of "NTS Extensions"
to "NTS Extension Fields". However, my usage of one vs. the other was
deliberate. When I refer to "extension fields", I am speaking purely
syntactically, i.e., discussing the bits on the wire. When I refer to
"extensions", I'm referring to the whole semiotic package: not only to
syntax of the fields but also to the protocol semantics and business
logic that accompany them.

What I want to know from you six, as the authors of RFC 5905 and 7822,
is not so much whether you think it's a good idea to make this
distinction, but whether you *already had this distinction in mind* at
the time you wrote those documents. If any of you tell me that you've
been thinking in those terms all along, then I'll take that as
vindication and reply to the RFC editor accordingly. If none of you
do, then I'll accept the edit and use "extension fields" everywhere,
because my intent here was to follow existing terminology and not to
coin anything new.

---

From: Daniel Franke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:20:32 -0400

The email expansions I used to address the RFC 5905 / 7822 authors
don't seem to be working. Resending with those authors' addresses
given directly.

---

From: Daniel Franke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:22:57 -0400

And furthermore my addresses for Jim, Jack, and William seem to be
bouncing. Oh well, hoping they're still subscribed to this list.

---

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 15:26:09 +0000

They are not. I have sent you a private email. 

Karen

On 9/17/20, 11:23 AM, "Daniel Franke" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    > > because my intent here was to follow existing terminology and not to

    _______________________________________________
    ntp mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp

---

From: Doug Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 22:01:03 +0000

Making a distinction between extensions and extension fields might make it clearer to the reader.

Doug

On 9/17/20, 11:23 AM, "ntp on behalf of Daniel Franke" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

---

From: "Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 12:06:02 +0200

>>> Doug Arnold <[email-masked]> schrieb am 18.09.2020 um 00:01
in
> Making a distinction between extensions and extension fields might make it 

What if you used "extension field syntax" instead of "extension field(s)"?
IMHO it would be even more clear. Sorry for the late response; I had been away
from E_Mail for two weeks....

> 
> Doug
> 
> On 9/17/20, 11:23 AM, "ntp on behalf of Daniel Franke"
<[email-masked] 
> on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>     > On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Daniel Franke <[email-masked]>

> wrote: