Subject: [Ntp] Update on IESG discussion on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:46:18 +0000

NTP working group members, 

The IESG met on 27 August, and the following NTP wg document was on the agenda. 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds/
As was brought up during the IETF Last Call and the subsequent IESG balloting on the document, there was some discussion about the publication category for the document. The rough consensus of the IESG was that the document could be published as Historic with appropriate caveats. However, in order to be published as Informational, it was felt that the document needed to be updated to meet more modern IETF practices including security practices. After discussing this with Erik Kline (AD) and Brian Haberman (editor), we've decided to pursue as Historic as the fastest path to publication while still meeting the needs of the NTP community. 

Regards,
Karen

---

From: Hal Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:27:59 -0700

Thanks.

[email-masked] said:
> After discussing this with Erik Kline (AD) and Brian Haberman (editor), we've
> decided to pursue as Historic as the fastest path to publication while still
> meeting the needs of the NTP community. 

Starting from "Historic", I can picture 2 different documents.  One would 
describe the protocol as it was implemented many years ago -- a document that 
could have been written back then.  An alternative would include protocol 
changes since then and/or point out what we have learned.

Perhaps the changes and lessons learned should be collected in another 
document.

-- 
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

---

From: Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:54:00 -0700

Sorry to see this. 

Sent from my iPhone - please excuse brevity and typos

> On Sep 10, 2020, at 4:46 AM, Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp
>