Subject: [Ntp] Mode/version tangle

From: Hal Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 01:26:58 -0800

(From an off-list discussion that I forgot to cc to the list.)

[email-masked] said:
> Unfortunately there's no "mode" value available any more; otherwise we could
> define a "feature query" packet while keeping the base packet format (at
> least the start of it). A less clean approach could be to use a combination
> of V==5 && mode ==7 (eventually declaring mode 7 as not supported for V5). 

If we bump the version number, we can (totally) redefine the modes.  The trick 
is that we have to decide if you look at the version first or the mode first.  
I don't think that is spelled out anyplace yet.

It's probably easier to code if we don't change modes, but we shouldn't let 
the previous lack of changes prevent us from doing it this time if there is a 
good reason.

There is a precedent for getting it backwards.  Mode 6 packets are still 
running
on version 2.  (Or something like that.)

-- 
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.