Subject: [Ntp] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-12

From: Tim Evens via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 15:51:14 -0800

Reviewer: Tim Evens
Review result: Ready with Nits

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-??
Reviewer: Tim Evens
Review Date: 2021-02-12
IETF LC End Date: 2021-02-12
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary:
Overall, nice document.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Nits/editorial comments:

Spelling correction; s/retriving/retrieving/g

It appears that "bb1d6929 e9593728 7fa37d12 9b756746" is not correctly enclosed
in xml. The key/hexadecimal-string declares it correctly, but the space
delimited string seems out of place.

"""
    <config>
       <ntp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-ntp">
         <authentication>
           <auth-enabled>true</auth-enabled>
           <authentication-keys>
             <key-id>10</key-id>
             <algorithm>aes-cmac</algorithm>
             bb1d6929 e9593728 7fa37d12 9b756746
             <key>
               <hexadecimal-string>
                 bb1d6929e95937287fa37d129b756746
               </hexadecimal-string>
             </key>
             <istrusted>true</istrusted>
           </authentication-keys>
         </authentication>
       </ntp>
     </config>
"""

Are the backslashes required here? It seems that many examples have them when
there is a value and the closing tag is not on the same line.  For example:

"""
 <data xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
     <ntp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-ntp">
       <clock-state>
         <system-status>
           <clock-state>synchronized</clock-state>
           <clock-stratum>7</clock-stratum>
           <clock-refid>192.0.2.1</clock-refid>
           <associations-address>192.0.2.1\
           </associations-address>
           <associations-local-mode>client\
           </associations-local-mode>
           <associations-isconfigured>yes\
           </associations-isconfigured>
           <nominal-freq>100.0</nominal-freq>
           <actual-freq>100.0</actual-freq>
           <clock-precision>18</clock-precision>
           <clock-offset>0.025</clock-offset>
           <root-delay>0.5</root-delay>
           <root-dispersion>0.8</root-dispersion>
           <reference-time>10-10-2017 07:33:55.258 Z+05:30\
           </reference-time>
           <sync-state>clock-synchronized</sync-state>
         </system-status>
       </clock-state>
     </ntp>
   </data>
"""

---

From: "Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 09:54:18 +0100

>>> Tim Evens via Datatracker <[email-masked]> schrieb am 13.02.2021 um 00:51
in
Nachricht <[email-masked]>:

...
> there is a value and the closing tag is not on the same line.  For example:
...
>            <associations‑address>192.0.2.1\
>            </associations‑address>

I think the backslash is no syntactic element IN XML; it's probably an
indoicator that those lines should be ONE for XML input.
Some XML lines are just long...

Regards,
Ulrich

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 12:00:05 +0000

> Some XML lines are just long...

Backslash is a YANG convention where lines have been folded to fit the 
rules of the RFC Editor but YANG/XML does not want them folded.

This is usually accompanied with a reference to
draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding RFC8792

Tom Petch

---

From: "Tim Evens (tievens)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 17:15:04 +0000

Thanks, that makes sense.

On 2/15/21, 4:01 AM, "tom petch" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Tom Petch

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 09:49:39 +0000

Dhruv

This thread makes me think that s.8 could do with
Note: '\' line folding as per [RFC8792]

Tom Petch