Subject: [Ntp] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-port-randomization-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 01:04:50 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ntp-port-randomization-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-port-randomization/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated), and some nits.

Thanks to Karen O'Donoghue for her shepherd's write-up.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 3.4 --
A reference for "Some NAT devices" would be welcome even if this behavior is to
be expected.

The last § is convoluted and requires several read to understand it,
paraphrasing would be good even if I have no suggestion.

-- Section 4 --
I wonder the added value of "The value in this variable becomes the source port
number of packets sent from this association." Especially as 'variable' is not
bound in the text to any value (OK we can guess that it is dstport).

Some rationale for "The randomized port number SHOULD NOT be shared with other
associations." would be welcome. Also, is it OK to share this port number with
other applications ?

-- Section 5 --
Interesting to read that many existing implementations have always implemented
this specification

== NITS ==

Please address all nits detected by:
https://www6.ietf.org/tools/idnits?url=https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-ntp-port-randomization-06.txt

-- Section 8 --
Unusual last paragraph in the acknowledgements ;-)