Subject: [nvo3-dt-encap] split nve question

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:30:01 +0100

I think we should find out what the WG thinks we need when it comes to 
options for split nve.

We can either ask this in email, or put some conditional text in our 
draft. Probably is easier to put it in our draft.

Text in the draft could read like this:

---

Section X: Options end-to-end with split NVE

If the working group sees a need for having the hosts send and receive 
options in a split NVE case, this is possible using any of the existing 
extensible encapsulations (Geneve, GUE, GPE+NSH) by defining a way to 
carry those over other transports. NSH can already be used over 
different transports.

If we need to do this with Geneve it can be done by defining an 
Ethertype for Geneve so that it can be carried over Ethernet and 802.1Q. 
[TBD: do we need to say something about carrying Geneve over MPLS?] In 
addition we'd need to define the semantics of the VNI in the Geneve. 
Presumably we can define the semantics as sent as zero and ignored on 
receipt.

---

If we instead want to send this as a question to the mailing list, then 
IMHO it should only be a question about how important it is to carry the 
NVO3 options host-to-host in the split NVE case.

    Erik

---

From: Sami Boutros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:09:03 +0000

On 1/10/17, 9:30 AM, "nvo3-dt-encap on behalf of Erik Nordmark" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>[TBD: do we need to say something about carrying Geneve over MPLS?] 

I think so, carrying Geneve over MPLS would require an EVPN control plane 
to signal that a Geneve header + options will be present in front of the 
L2 VPN packet. The VNI can be ignored in the header, and the MPLS label 
will be the one used to identify the EVPN L2 instance.

Thanks,

Sami
>In 
>_______________________________________________
>nvo3-dt-encap mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_nvo3-2Ddt-2Dencap&d=DwICAg&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=IVzcTRLQdpta08L0b_y2zDkqvwJhRKMCAbX-2K-LV98&m=7pmkmFElNXN1iElEI7IE_K-KVz83fm1c7KCrcEQCycA&s=9Hh6sJiRRyJ9zDMy7AZAozpIyGy59jI7sWBkrnvNJKU&e=