Subject: [nvo3] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 06:33:06 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Network Virtualization Overlays Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Problem Statement: Overlays for Network Virtualization
	Author(s)       : Thomas Narten
                          Eric Gray
                          David Black
                          Luyuan Fang
                          Lawrence Kreeger
                          Maria Napierala
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-03.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2013-05-10

Abstract:
   This document describes issues associated with providing multi-
   tenancy in large data center networks and how these issues may be
   addressed using an overlay-based network virtualization approach.  A
   key multi-tenancy requirement is traffic isolation, so that one
   tenant's traffic is not visible to any other tenant.  Another
   requirement is address space isolation, so that different tenants can
   use the same address space within different virtual networks.
   Traffic and address space isolation is achieved by assigning one or
   more virtual networks to each tenant, where traffic within a virtual
   network can only cross into another virtual network in a controlled
   fashion (e.g., via a configured router and/or a security gateway).
   Additional functionality is required to provision virtual networks,
   associating a virtual machine's network interface(s) with the
   appropriate virtual network, and maintaining that association as the
   virtual machine is activated, migrated and/or deactivated.  Use of an
   overlay-based approach enables scalable deployment on large network
   infrastructures.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/