Subject: Re: [nvo3] draft-ietf-nvo3-nve-nva-cp-req: only about NVA-NVE ?

From: "Larry Kreeger (kreeger)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 19:44:28 +0000

Hi Thomas,

My apologies for the delay in responding to this message. Look for my
responses below.

Thanks, Larry

On 8/1/13 4:34 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>Hi WG,
>
>I've noticed that draft-ietf-nvo3-nve-nva-cp-req-00, resulting from the
>adoption of draft-kreeger-nvo3-overlay-cp-04, actually has a different
>title (and different draft-xxx nickname too) !
>
>While the usage is to post -00 WG doc with no change from what has been
>subjected to WG adoption, it remains of course acceptable to have minor
>changes, including fixing a title.

LK> Yes, the title was changed to reflect the content of the draft.  I
also ran this by the chairs before doing it to be sure it was OK.

>
>What concerns me here is that the change, from "Overlay Control Protocol
>Requirements" to "NVE to NVA Control Protocol Requirements", is not
>minor and happens to shortcut the discussions that happened this morning
>around draft-narten-nvo3-arch, about whether or not it is relevant to
>address the NVE-NVA interface separately from  NVA-NVA interface, and
>NVA internal design.

This is not a recent change.  From the start of the WG, the problem
statement identified the following areas for control plane work:

 1) NVE to Oracle (now NVA) and Oracle related
 2) Hypervisor to NVE (when there is an external NVE from the Hypervisor)

The original draft-kreeger-nvo3-overlay-cp-00 covered all of these, but as
part of draft-kreeger-nvo3-overlay-cp-02 back in October 2012, the
Hypervisor to NVE was split out as a separate draft
(draft-kreeger-nvo3-hypervisor-nve-cp-00), leaving this draft to cover the
interaction between an NVE and the Network Virtualization Authority (NVA)
or operation of the NVA itself.  No real work has been identified for
"operation of the NVA itself", leaving the draft to only really cover NVE
to NVA.

>
>Moreover, it also would raise the question of what the working group
>would to for what relates to NVA-NVA: no requirements ? no gap analysis ?

NVA to NVA protocol requirements are not mentioned in the problem
statement and have only come up more recently as part of the architecture
work.  I think it makes sense for the requirements for this area to be
covered in a separate draft, but I think we are waiting to get more
consensus on the architecture.

>
>What is the intent behind this change of draft nickname and title ?

Only to reflect the content.

>
>-Thomas
>
>
>
>
>2013-07-31, :
>>
>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>>directories.
>>   This draft is a work item of the Network Virtualization Overlays
>>Working Group of the IETF.
>>
>> 	Title           : Network Virtualization NVE to NVA Control Protocol
>>Requirements
>> 	Author(s)       : Lawrence Kreeger
>>                            Dinesh Dutt
>>                            Thomas Narten
>>                            David Black
>> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-nvo3-nve-nva-cp-req-00.txt
>> 	Pages           : 11
>> 	Date            : 2013-07-31
>>
>> Abstract:
>>     The document "Problem Statement: Overlays for Network
>>Virtualization"
>>     discusses the needs for network virtualization using overlay
>>networks
>>     in highly virtualized data centers.  The problem statement outlines
>>a
>>     need for control protocols to facilitate running these overlay
>>     networks.  This document outlines the high level requirements to be
>>     fulfilled by the control protocols related to building and managing
>>     the mapping tables and other state information used by the Network
>>     Virtualization Edge to transmit encapsulated packets across the
>>     underlying network.
>>
>>
>> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-nve-nva-cp-req
>>
>> There's also a htmlized version available at:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nvo3-nve-nva-cp-req-00
>>
>>
>> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
>>submission
>> until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
>>
>> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> nvo3 mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3
>>
>
>__________________________________________________________________________
>_______________________________________________
>
>Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations
>confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez
>recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
>a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages
>electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
>Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme
>ou falsifie. Merci.
>
>This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged
>information that may be protected by law;
>they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
>If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and
>delete this message and its attachments.
>As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have
>been modified, changed or falsified.
>Thank you.
>
>_______________________________________________
>nvo3 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3