Subject: [nvo3] Conclusion re: timeline for publishing Requirements

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:44:43 -0500

Dear NVO3 Contributors -

In a previous message to the NVO3 mailing list I asked for feedback 
regarding the milestone dates for publishing our various requirements 
documents. For reference that message can be found at 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/nvo3/094sshJqOWYv8NFHGD2_1Bkq9us.

The discussion that followed was helpful - thank you to everybody that 
shared their thoughts.

After considering the feedback, Matthew and I have confirmed our 
proposal: that we should update the milestones to reflect that the 
requirements will be published at the same time as the solutions. I will 
be updating the milestones on the charter page to reflect this in the 
near future.

Our charter does not require us to produce requirements drafts, which 
gives us a great deal of flexibility in deciding how to make progress. 
It is not our job to simply produce RFCs. Rather, our goal is to produce 
solid specifications that can be used to build interoperable 
implementations. All of the ancillary material that gets produced in 
that process is not the goal. That being said, Matthew and I appreciate 
the work that has been done by all our authors. We will make sure that 
the authors of requirements are given appropriate credit when their 
works are published.

Going forward, we will decide on a case-by-case basis whether to publish 
requirements as standalone drafts or merged into solutions drafts. In 
simple cases our preference would be for a merged document. But in cases 
where there are multiple documents that need a specific reference then 
it may be ideal to publish requirements as a standalone document. The 
chairs will work with authors to make this determination at the 
appropriate time. Tactically, authors of the existing requirements 
drafts are asked to keep-alive their respective I-Ds until we reach such 
a conclusion.

Cheers,
-Benson & Matthew