Subject: [nvo3] IETF NVo3 interim Feb 12th 2015 - minutes

From: Sam Aldrin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:08:11 -0800

Meeting minutes are now posted at 
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/02/12/nvo3/minutes/minutes-interim-2015-nvo3-3 <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/02/12/nvo3/minutes/minutes-interim-2015-nvo3-3>>

Cheers
-sam

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:44:02 -0600

Hi Erik,

In the call, you talked about caching IP-MAC mappings and distributing
them to all NVEs.

Can you please elaborate on that?

Regards,

Behcet

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Sam Aldrin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/02/12/nvo3/minutes/minutes-interim-2015-nvo3-3>
>
> Cheers
> -sam
>
> _______________________________________________
> nvo3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3
>

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 16:27:10 -0800

> In the call, you talked about caching IP-MAC mappings and distributing

The conversation was in the context of IP Multicast where the framework 
document already makes a valuable distinction between application 
multicast and infrastructure multicast. I think I also make comments 
that for the various infrastructure uses (ARP/ND, mDNS, DHCP) it might 
make sense to have specific optimizations such as proxies etc. But that 
isn't an option for application multicast.

    Erik

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 16:38:29 -0600

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]> wrote:
> document already makes a valuable distinction between application multicast
> and infrastructure multicast. I think I also make comments that for the
> various infrastructure uses (ARP/ND, mDNS, DHCP) it might make sense to have
> specific optimizations such as proxies etc. But that isn't an option for
> application multicast.
>

Thanks for the clarification. So it was not related to unicast mappings.

Regards,

Behcet

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 17:43:35 -0800

> Thanks for the clarification. So it was not related to unicast mappings.

Behcet,
I don't know what you mean by mappings. Are you talking about the ARP mapping from an IP address to a Mac address?
It does relate to how such mappings are handled because that is what the ARP protocol does.

    Erik

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:37:44 -0600

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> multicast
> I don't know what you mean by mappings. Are you talking about the ARP
> mapping from an IP address to a Mac address?

Hi Erik,

I was talking about what Qiang mentioned regarding NVA configuring all
NVE's ARP mappings or caches.

Regards,

Behcet