Subject: [nvo3] regarding draft-ghanwani-nvo3-app-mcast-framework

From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 09:28:53 -0800

This is long overdue followup for multicast from the interim meeting.

We plan to issue an updated draft shortly in which we will change the title
and name of the draft so that it reflects that it will cover a discussion
of both infrastructure (ARP/ND, mDNS, DHCP, etc.) and application-level
multicast per comments during the call.

There was a comment by David Black about optimizing the number of multicast
groups required in the underlay which I believe is already covered by the
following
text in the draft:

   There are additional optimizations which are possible, but they come
   with their own restrictions.  For example, a set of tenants may be
   restricted to some subset of NVEs and they could all share the same
   outer IP multicast group address.  This however introduces a problem
   of sub-optimal delivery (even if a particular tenant within the
   group of tenants doesn't have a presence on one of the NVEs which
   another one does, the former's multicast packets would still be
   delivered to that NVE).

If folks have any other comments/concerns, please let us know.

Thanks,
Anoop