Subject: [nvo3] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 21:28:29 -0800

This draft makes 3 points:
  - we shouldn't hard-code a policy of layer isolation as we think about
OAM for NVO3 and other encapsulations
  - NVO3 encaps might consider enabling the ttl behavior which enables
this form of traceroute
  - this is easy for VXLAN encapsulation - needs a bit in the VXLAN header

Comments are welcome.

    Erik

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for
draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00.txt
Date: 	Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:48:12 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Chandra Appanna <[email-masked]>, Erik Nordmark
<[email-masked]>, Alton Lo <[email-masked]>, Alton Lo
<[email-masked]>, Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>, Chandra
Appanna <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Erik Nordmark and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute
Revision:	00
Title:		Layer-Transcending Traceroute for Overlay Networks like VXLAN
Document date:	2015-03-02
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		18
URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00

Abstract:
    Tools like traceroute have been very valuable for the operation of
    the Internet.  Part of that value comes from being able to display
    information about routers and paths over which the user of the tool
    has no control, but the traceroute output can be passed along to
    someone else that can further investigate or fix the problem.

    In overlay networks such as VXLAN and NVGRE the prevailing view is
    that since the overlay network has no control of the underlay there
    needs to be special tools and agreements to enable extracting traces
    from the underlay.  We argue that enabling visibility into the
    underlay and using existing tools like traceroute has been overlooked
    and would add value in many deployments of overlay networks.

    This document specifies an approach that can be used to make
    traceroute transcend layers of encapsulation including details for
    how to apply this to VXLAN.  The technique can be applied to other
    encapsulations used for overlay networks.  It can also be implemented
    using current commercial silicon.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat