Subject: [nvo3] Suggestion to apply encaps DT work to NVO3

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 12:34:02 -0700

Hello,

I believe (perhaps with some bias!) that the encaps design team did a
fairly thorough job in enumerating the key common issues of
encapsulation. I think this work is useful to apply to selecting a
data plane protocol for NVO3.

I would like suggest that a way forward with the NVO3 data plane
discussions is that for each of the proposed encapsulation protocols a
statement is produced about how it addresses or considers each the
common issues. This would be good for discussion and would be helpful
in evaluating the merits of these protocols.

The twelve common issues the design team came up with are:

1. How to provide entropy for ECMP
2. Next header indication
3. Packet size and fragmentation/reassembly
4. OAM - what support needed in an encapsulation format?
5. Security and privacy
6. QoS
7. Congestion Considerations
8. Header and data protection - UDP or header checksums
9. Extensibility - for OAM, security, and/or congestion control
10. Layering of multiple encapsulations
11. Service model
12. Hardware Friendly

More details about potential considerations in these areas are in the
draft https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rtg-dt-encap/

Thanks,
Tom