Subject: [nvo3] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-03.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 17:11:18 -0700

This version has some added some Multipath information provided by Sami 
and Ankur.

    Erik

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-03.txt
Date: 	Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:52:47 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>, Ankur Dubey 
<[email-masked]>, Chandra Appanna <[email-masked]>, Sami Boutros 
<[email-masked]>, Alton Lo <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by Erik Nordmark and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute
Revision:	03
Title:		Layer-Transcending Traceroute for Overlay Networks like VXLAN
Document date:	2016-07-08
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		22
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-03.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-03
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-03

Abstract:
    Tools like traceroute have been very valuable for the operation of
    the Internet.  Part of that value comes from being able to display
    information about routers and paths over which the user of the tool
    has no control, but the traceroute output can be passed along to
    someone else that can further investigate or fix the problem.

    In overlay networks such as VXLAN and NVGRE the prevailing view is
    that since the overlay network has no control of the underlay there
    needs to be special tools and agreements to enable extracting traces
    from the underlay.  We argue that enabling visibility into the
    underlay and using existing tools like traceroute has been overlooked
    and would add value in many deployments of overlay networks.

    This document specifies an approach that can be used to make
    traceroute transcend layers of encapsulation including details for
    how to apply this to VXLAN.  The technique can be applied to other
    encapsulations used for overlay networks.  It can also be implemented
    using current commercial silicon.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat