Subject: [nvo3] draft-ietf-nvo3-use-case-08 Comments

From: Edwin Mallette <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:37:22 +0200

Perhaps it¹s just me but over the past 2+ years or so I¹ve seen so many of
these use case documents particularly around virtualization, they all run
together in my mind.  And I think they¹re nearly all the same.  They also
tend to be overly generalized with very little practical use at least in
terms of solution implementation.  As a result, I¹m not sure how useful this
draft is going forward.  That said I do think that Alia¹s suggestion about
an applicability document where you take the work from NVO3 and depict how
NVO3 helps enable these use cases would be valuable.

Cheers!

Ed

---

From: Lucy yong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 12:45:15 +0000

Nvo3 WG only has one use case draft. This draft helps new comers to understand the application space.

Regards,
Lucy

From: nvo3 [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Edwin Mallette
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nvo3] draft-ietf-nvo3-use-case-08 Comments

Perhaps it's just me but over the past 2+ years or so I've seen so many of these use case documents particularly around virtualization, they all run together in my mind.  And I think they're nearly all the same.  They also tend to be overly generalized with very little practical use at least in terms of solution implementation.  As a result, I'm not sure how useful this draft is going forward.  That said I do think that Alia's suggestion about an applicability document where you take the work from NVO3 and depict how NVO3 helps enable these use cases would be valuable.

Cheers!

Ed

---

From: Edwin Mallette <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:55:32 +0200

Hi Lucy,

I¹m not saying that this use case draft wasn¹t useful work, particularly
when it was done.  I was directing my comments more toward the publication
question and is there benefit to the community at large publishing this
draft  i.e. would this document as an RFC be guiding or helpful in the
futureŠ I think my answer there is probably no, other than in a historic
sense.

What I am saying in addition is that Alia¹s comments at the mic resonated
with me and I do think what would help is if more of the NVO3 stuff could be
introduced in the draft to indicate how NVO3 is helping to solve the
technical challenges in implementing these use cases.   OTOH Maybe that¹s
another draft.

Cheers!

Ed

From:  Lucy yong <[email-masked]>
Date:  Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 2:45 PM
To:  Edwin Mallette <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>
Subject:  RE: draft-ietf-nvo3-use-case-08 Comments

Nvo3 WG only has one use case draft. This draft helps new comers to
understand the application space.
 
Regards,
Lucy

Cheers!

Ed