Subject: [nvo3] Protocol Action: 'Geneve: Generic Network Virtualization Encapsulation' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 07:52:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Geneve: Generic Network Virtualization Encapsulation'
  (draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Virtualization Overlays Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Deborah Brungard and Martin
Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve/

Technical Summary

   Network virtualization involves the cooperation of devices with a
   wide variety of capabilities such as software and hardware tunnel
   endpoints, transit fabrics, and centralized control clusters.  As a
   result of their role in tying together different elements in the
   system, the requirements on tunnels are influenced by all of these
   components.  Flexibility is therefore the most important aspect of a
   tunnel protocol if it is to keep pace with the evolution of the
   system.  This document describes Geneve, an encapsulation protocol
   designed to recognize and accommodate these changing capabilities and
   needs.

Working Group Summary

   The document describes the Geneve encapsulation format for NVO3. NVO3
   has considered many different encapsulation formats, also including GUE 
   (draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-05 and draft-ietf-intarea-gue-07), and VXLAN-GPE
   (draft-ietf-nvo3-vxlan-gpe-06). A design team was chartered to analyse
   the available encapsulations and recommend one to go forward. The
   result of this choice was Geneve, and the design team's conclusions
   are documented in draft-dt-nvo3-encap-01. These conclusions were
   accepted by the working group. 

   There are two IPR declarations on the draft. These were made in 2014 prior to
   the draft being adopted as a working group draft, and the working group is 
   well aware of these. 

Document Quality

   No concerns about the quality of the document, it has been widely reviewed and discussed on the list over a 
   number of years. Few nits remains relating to outdated references.
   
   The document has been the subject of early reviews by the Routing Area Directorate,
   Transport Area Review Team, and the Security Area Directorate. Although all
   of these review raise comments, they were all resolved with the agreement of
   the reviewers. 
   
   The document also received a significant number of comments from the editor of
   a number of security drafts in NVO3. Most of these were resolved, and all comments
   were addressed on the list or as changes to the document. The most significant
   outstanding comment related to the fact that Geneve recommends using DTLS and 
   IPSec for end to end security. This is not possible if transit devices that need to 
   inspect the packet header. This limitation is indicated in the draft. There was
   also some discussion around the precise wording of restrictions on the order
   of processing and dependencies between options in the Geneve header, but
   no consensus to change the current text in the draft.
   There was consensus to move forward with the draft.
   
Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Matthew Bocci 
   Responsible Area Director: Martin Vigoureux