Subject: [nvo3] Looking help for vxlan-gpe

From: 杨光 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:04:00 +0800

I hope to get the  some help for the vxlan-gpe protocol.

I am Yang guang from a Cloud computing provider in China，and in charge of
the load balance service. We plan to use the vxlan-gpe protocol to carry
some network address information, and cooperate with the NAT function of
virtual switch,  the real server can see the real client‘s address when the
load balance using snat+dnat mode.

Here is the header format

 0                   1                   2                   3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|0|0|0|0|I|P|0|0|       Reserved                |   NP = LB 254 |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|         VXLAN Network Identifier (VNI)        |   Reserved    |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|   type = v4   |   Length = 3  |   Reserved    |  NP = Eth 03  |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                              CIP                              |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                              VIP                              |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|             SPORT             |             DPORT             |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Since vxlan-gpe is still in the draft stage, and there is no sample shim
header in the draft, I am not sure whether this custom format conforms to
the regulations and design philosophy. One of my concerns is that the
format changes in future will be extremely complex if it do not meet the
specifications.

This mail was sent once before, and the reason to resend is to make sure it
was delivered successfully, because I received the rejection letter before.

Thank you for your time and consideration
-------
Sincerely Yang guang

---

From: 杨光 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:19:36 +0800

I have consulted almost all of the authors of the draft and either received
their non-repudiation email or they are no longer working on vxlan-gpe. So
I took Paul Quinn's advice and consulted the nvo3 organization.

Thank you for your time and consideration again
-------
Sincerely Yang guang

---

From: "Fabio Maino (fmaino)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 20:05:04 +0000

Yang,
I must have missed your email. Sorry about that.

The syntax looks conform to what is specified in the draft to me.

Fabio

From: nvo3 <[email-masked]> on behalf of 杨光 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 7:06 PM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nvo3] Looking help for vxlan-gpe

I am Yang guang from a Cloud computing provider in China，and in charge of the load balance service. We plan to use the vxlan-gpe protocol to carry some network address information, and cooperate with the NAT function of virtual switch,  the real server can see the real client‘s address when the load balance using snat+dnat mode.

 0                   1                   2                   3

|                              CIP                              |

|                              VIP                              |

|             SPORT             |             DPORT             |

Since vxlan-gpe is still in the draft stage, and there is no sample shim header in the draft, I am not sure whether this custom format conforms to the regulations and design philosophy. One of my concerns is that the format changes in future will be extremely complex if it do not meet the specifications.

This mail was sent once before, and the reason to resend is to make sure it was delivered successfully, because I received the rejection letter before.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 22:07:59 -0400

> Here is the header format

Comparing your header example to sections 3.1 and 3.2 of
draft-ietf-nvo3-vxlan-gpe-09, it looks like your example conforms to the
VXLAN-GEP proposal.  Do you have any specific concerns?

Dale

---

From: 杨光 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 10:48:58 +0800

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have any particular concerns, just because I didn't see the exact
example of a custom header,  and the future changes because of the wrong
design would be disastrous, there so many unpleasant experience was still
vivid in my mind.

Thank you again.
-------
Sincerely Yang guang