Subject: [nwcrg] Fwd: Proposed presentation of draft-flach-tcpm-fec-00.txt

From: Tobias Flach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:13:19 -0400

Hello,

as previously noted I recently proposed a draft titled "TCP Instant
Recovery: Incorporating Forward Error Correction in TCP" to the tcpm WG,
and I am happy to present and discuss this work with NWCRG as well since
some of the parts might be of interest to you as well.

---
Abstract:

Ordinary TCP loss recovery takes at least one round-trip time and as such
can increase application-perceived latency, especially for short flows such
as Web transactions. TCP Instant Recovery (TCP-IR) is an experimental
algorithm that allows a receiving end to recover lost packets without
retransmissions, thus potentially saving at least one full round-trip time
compared to standard TCP.  TCP-IR achieves this by judiciously injecting
encoded data segments within a TCP stream.

In this presentation I will describe the TCP-IR algorithm at the sending
and receiving ends, along with the required protocol changes. In addition,
I will discuss how this work relates to existing alternatives like Network
Coded TCP, and point out similarities and differences to achieving the same
behavior with Multipath TCP.
---

Best regards,
Tobias

---

From: "Firoiu, Victor (US SSA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:16:47 +0000

Thanks, Tobias.  I'll add you to the agenda that we will post soon.

Victor

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tobias Flach
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nwcrg] Fwd: Proposed presentation of draft-flach-tcpm-fec-00.txt

Hello,

as previously noted I recently proposed a draft titled "TCP Instant Recovery: Incorporating Forward Error Correction in TCP" to the tcpm WG, and I am happy to present and discuss this work with NWCRG as well since some of the parts might be of interest to you as well.

---
Abstract:

Ordinary TCP loss recovery takes at least one round-trip time and as such can increase application-perceived latency, especially for short flows such as Web transactions. TCP Instant Recovery (TCP-IR) is an experimental algorithm that allows a receiving end to recover lost packets without retransmissions, thus potentially saving at least one full round-trip time compared to standard TCP.  TCP-IR achieves this by judiciously injecting encoded data segments within a TCP stream.

In this presentation I will describe the TCP-IR algorithm at the sending and receiving ends, along with the required protocol changes. In addition, I will discuss how this work relates to existing alternatives like Network Coded TCP, and point out similarities and differences to achieving the same behavior with Multipath TCP.
---

Best regards,
Tobias