Subject: [nwcrg] Agenda for our Thursday meeting

From: Victor Firoiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:08:36 -0500

Dear Netcoders,

Here is our draft agenda where i tried to include all your
presentation requests as well as a discussion on the Taxonomy document
and associated architectures.

Please let me know if I missed anybody or if you have other comments.

Victor Firoiu and Brian Adamson

== Agenda for NWCRG Meeting, London, 6 March 2014 ==

15:20 (10min) Introduction and Note Well

15:30 (20min) BATS: An efficient network coding solution for packet
loss networks, Raymond Yeung, Institute of Network Coding, The Chinese
University of Hong Kong

15:50 (20min) Impact of Virtualization and SDN on Emerging Network
Coding, Bhumip Khasnabish, ZTE USA

16:10 (20min) Experiments with Broadcast with Network Coding, Cedric
Adjih, INRIA

16:30 (20min) Dynamic Packet Recovery technology overview, Igor
Zhovnirovsky, Q Factor Communications

16:50 (10min) Break

17:00 (15min) Structured RLC codes: an update. Vincent Roca, INRIA,
Kazuhisa Matsuzono, NICT.

17:15 (15min) Distributed Storage with RLNC, Frank Fitzek, Aalborg Univ.

17:30 (15min) KODO coding speeds, Frank Fitzek, Aalborg Univ.

17:45 (25min) Discussion on Taxonomy doc

18:10 (20min) Discussion on Reference Architectures and use cases

18:30 Adjourn

=== Abstracts ===

==== BATS: An efficient network coding solution for packet loss
networks, Raymond Yeung, Institute of Network Coding, The Chinese
University of Hong Kong

Network coding can significantly improve the transmission rate of
communication networks with packet loss compared with routing.
However, using network coding usually incurs higher computational and
storage costs in the network devices and terminals. For example, some
network coding schemes require the computational and/or storage
capabilities of an intermediate network node to increase linearly with
the number of packets for transmission, making them difficult to be
implemented in a router-like device that has only constant
computational and storage capabilities.

In this talk, we introduce BATS code, which enables a digital fountain
approach to resolve the above issue. BATS code is a coding scheme that
consists of an outer code and an inner code.  The outer code is a
matrix generation of a fountain code.  It works with the inner code
which comprises random linear coding at the intermediate network
nodes.  BATS codes preserve such desirable properties of fountain
codes as ratelessness and low encoding/decoding complexity. The
computational and storage capabilities of the intermediate network
nodes required for applying BATS codes are independent of the number
of packets for transmission. Almost capacity-achieving BATS code
schemes have been devised for unicast networks, two-way relay
networks, tree networks, a class of three-layer networks, and the
butterfly network.

==== Impact of Virtualization and SDN on Emerging Network Coding,
Bhumip Khasnabish, ZTE USA

This document discusses the impact of virtualization and
Software-Defined Networking (SDN) on the emerging network coding.

==== Experiments with Broadcast with Network Coding, Cedric Adjih, INRIA

This presentation will focus on Network Coding in Multi-Hop Wireless
Networks. It will describe experimental (and simulation) results, when
applied to broadcast, along with lessons and design issues.

==== Dynamic Packet Recovery technology overview, Igor Zhovnirovsky, Q
Factor Communications

DPR is a bookended congestion avoiding packet recovery communication
technology that improves network utilization without adding excessive
overhead. This talk presents high level DPR architecture and
performance measurements obtained in Internet trials showing
side-by-side comparison.

==== Structured RLC codes: an update. Vincent Roca, INRIA, Kazuhisa
Matsuzono, NICT.

Performance of Structured RLC codes when used in convolutional mode.

==== Distributed Storage with RLNC, Frank Fitzek, Aalborg Univ.

Present theoretical results and implementation of RLNC for distributed
clouds, and motivate why "normal" ereasure codes are not sufficient in
some settings.

==== KODO coding speeds, Frank Fitzek, Aalborg Univ.

Present coding speeds with SIMD support, delay consideration using
real measurements on raspberry Pis, and others, and compare the
performance of KODO to other implementations. Also discuss free use
for research and license-free alternatives to RLNC.