Subject: [nwcrg] Definition of flows

From: "Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 22:55:54 +0000

Following up the discussion from today's meeting, I think it is critical
that we define flows while leaving the definition as flexible as possible
depending on the use case and layer in the stack. As was mentioned during
the discussions a flow can be a five tuple, a three tuple or any n tuple
that the user of the network coding defines it.  I also think multiplexing
several flows in the encoder and being able to demultiplex them on the
decoder should be a fundamental requirement.

Thanks
Senthil

---

From: Victor Firoiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 00:07:03 +0100

I agree, and we had broad consensus. A proposed definition is:

A (network coding) Flow = a stream of packets subject to a common
coding process. Examples are: 5-tuples, 3-tuples, MPLS LSP.

Victor

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nwcrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nwcrg