Subject: [nwcrg] Our meeting in London

From: Victor Firoiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:40:29 -0400

Dear NetCoders,

Thank you all for paticipating in the London meeting, either in person
(we had 53 participants) or on-line.

We had both research talks and discussions about Network Coding
taxonomy and architecture.

If you took notes, please send them so we can put them together and
upload to the IETF site for our meeting's archive.

Here are several main points from the meeting; please add if I missed
anyting important.

1. The Taxonomy draft has now many/most of the concepts defined and
the discussion on some terms (such as symbol vs coded payload) was
good and we reached general agreement. The meeting participants agreed
to make it a NWCRG group document.

If there is no objection for this on this mail list as well, we will
submit it as a NWCRG ID (Internet Document) draft. We will be able to
revise this draft until we consider it good to submit it as an
Informational RFC.

2. There is a need for a Tutorial document to help the introduction of
the Network Coding concepts and technology to the larger IETF
community.

If you'd like to contribute to such a Tutorial, please send a
response. Several in our NWCRG group have written tutorials in the
past, so we can draw from their inputs.

3. There is significant interest in progressing toward some protocol
specification.

While the standardization has to be done in an IETF WG, we can lay the
foundations (both theoretical and practical) through a reference
architecture in our NWCRG group. For this, we need a set of use cases
that have proved to have practical value. We can use this mail list or
our wiki at

http://tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/nwcrg

to gather your inputs.

All the best,

Victor

---

From: "Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:16:11 +0000

Victor,
As I have previously indicated, I would be willing to help with the
tutorial document & the protocol specification?
I thought we were also going to come up with a use case document?

Thanks
Senthil

On 3/21/14 2:40 PM, "Victor Firoiu" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>nwcrg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nwcrg

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:54:00 -0400

I would like to hear more justifications for a tutorial. But yes to use cases.

Marie-José Montpetit
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

> On Mar 24, 2014, at 17:16, "Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Victor,