Subject: [nwcrg] Call for papers on "Network Coding Applications in Satellite Networks"

From: Giovanni Giambene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 10:34:17 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

we would like to bring to your attention the call for papers below on
"Network Coding Applications in Satellite Networks" for the International
Journal of Satellite communications and Networking.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

Nader Alagha (ESA-ESTEC)
Giovanni Giambene (University of Siena)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Issue for the
International Journal of Satellite Communications & Networking
published by Wiley

"Network Coding Applications in Satellite Networks"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network coding allows nodes in the network to perform coding operations at
the packet level. In wireless communications, research results and
preliminary implementations have shown promising gains of network coding in
correcting random packet erasures and errors introduced by malicious nodes.
The Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) has approved the Network Coding
Research Group (NWCRG), considering several areas to investigate the
applicability of network coding, such as: architectural considerations,
end-to-end versus hop-by-hop network coding, inter-flow network coding (at
layer 3 or below) versus intra-flow (at layer 4 or above),
application-layer network coding, security issues and robustness to
attacks, packet formats, proactive protection with network coding versus
reactive mechanisms based on ARQ.
This special issue is dedicated to potential applications of network coding
to satellite communications networks. In particular, network coding
represents a powerful approach to protect data from losses due to link
disconnections and can also allow to exploit the combination of multiple
paths to deliver data to users (e.g., multicast applications, smart gateway
diversity techniques, etc.) with the possibility of recoding at
intermediate nodes. A special attention will be given to the comparison of
inter-flow versus intra-flow approaches and the implications of the use of
network coding at different OSI layers in the context of satellite
networking.

This special issue will cover the following topics, but not limited to:

* System architecture (including PEP-based approaches)
* Compatibility issues with other protocols
* Innovative (efficient) decoding schemes
* Type of codes and decoder performance
* IoT applications (compressed sensing coupled with nodes using network
coding)
* Multicast applications and recoding at intermediate nodes
* Protection from packet losses at disconnection events
* Network coding to support handover procedures (gateway handover, vertical
handover, etc.)
* Network coding application at transport layer
* Network coding application at network layer or just below
* Inter-flow network coding versus intra-flow network coding
* Network coding use for reliable multicast services
* Network coding for P2P applications and Internet-centric networking
* Network coding standardization issues (NWCRG)
* Encapsulation and network coding
* Cross-layer optimization for network coding.

Guest Editors:

Prof. Giovanni Giambene
Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell'Informazione e Scienze Matematiche
Università degli Studi di Siena
Via Roma, 56 - 53100 Siena, Italy
[email-masked]

Dr. Nader Alagha
European Space Agency, Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC)
Keplerlaan 1, 2201 AZ  Noordwijk ZH, The Netherlands
[email-masked]

Submission Instructions:

Prospective authors are invited to submit their contributions by sending a
paper by email to one of the above guest editors; please inform guest
editors about your interest to submit. Papers should be in pdf format with
maximum length of 35 pages including figures and using double spacing. For
author’s instructions please see the website of International Journal of
Satellite Communications and Networking:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1542-0981/homepage/ForAuthors.html

Important dates (expected dates):

September 30, 2016   - Submission of manuscripts
January 9, 2017          - Notification of review results
February 28, 2017      - Submission of camera ready manuscripts

Biographies of guest editors

Giovanni Giambene Biography

Giovanni Giambene ([email-masked]): Giovanni Giambene was born in
Florence, Italy, in 1966. He received the Dr. Ing. degree in Electronics in
1993 and the Ph.D. degree in Telecommunications and Informatics in 1997,
both from the University of Florence, Italy. From 1994 to 1997, he was with
the Electronic Engineering Department of the University of Florence, Italy.
He was Technical External Secretary of the European Community COST 227
Action (“Integrated Space/Terrestrial Mobile Networks”). He also
contributed to the SAINT Project (“Satellite Integration in the Future
Mobile Network”, RACE 2117). From 1997 to 1998, he was with OTE (Marconi
Group) in Florence, Italy, working on a GSM development program. In 1999,
he joined the Department of Information Engineering and Mathematical
Sciences of the University of Siena, Italy. At present, he is associate
professor, teaching the first-level course on Fundamentals on
Telecommunications and the advanced course on Networking at the University
of Siena. From 2000 to 2003, he contributed to the EU FP5 “Personalised
Access to Local Information and services for tourists” (PALIO) IST Project.
He was vice-Chair of the COST 290 Action (2004-2008), entitled “Traffic and
QoS Management in Wireless Multimedia Networks” (Wi-QoST). He participated
to: (i) the SatNEx I & II network of excellence (EU FP6, 2004-2009) and
SatNEx III (ESA 2010-2013) as work package leader on radio access
techniques, cross-layer air interface design, and network coding techniques
for satellite systems; (ii) the EU FP7 Coordination Action “Road mapping
technology for enhancing security to protect medical & genetic data”
(RADICAL) as work package leader on security and privacy; (iii) the COST
Action IC0906 (2010-2014) “Wireless Networking for Moving Objects” (WiNeMO)
as national representative; (iv) EU FP7 Coordination Action RESPONSIBILITY.
At present, he is involved in the ESA SatNEX IV project. Giambene is IEEE
senior member. From October 2011 to December 2015, he was IEEE
Communications Letters associate editor. Since March 2015 he is editor of
IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. He has published the following
books: G. Giambene, “Queuing Theory and Telecommunications: Networks and
Telecommunications”, Springer, April 2014 (2nd edition); G. Giambene (Ed.),
“Resource Management in Satellite Networks: Optimization and Cross-Layer
Design”, Springer, April 2007. His research interests deal with wireless
and satellite networking, cross-layer air interface design, transport layer
performance, privacy and security.

Nader Alagha Biography

Nader Alagha ([email-masked]) received his Ph.D. Degree in Electrical
and Computer Engineering from McGill University, Montreal, Canada. In 1999
he joined Space and Technology group at EMS Technologies Canada.  From 2004
to 2006 he was a Senior Member of Technical Staff at Advantech Satellite
Networks where he was involved in R&D projects related to the interactive
satellite networks.  Since 2006 he has been with the Electrical Engineering
Department of the Technical Directorate at European Space Agency Research
and Technology Centre (ESTEC) in The Netherlands. He has been the technical
lead of  several R&D projects related to broadband satellite system and VHF
maritime communications. He has contributed to several standardization
technical groups including DVB-S2X and DVB-RCS2.  Dr. Alagha is an
executive committee member of  the IEEE Benelux Chapter on Communications
and Vehicular Technology. He served as the General Chair of the ESA
workshop on Signal Processing for Space Communications (SPSC) in 2008. He
has also been a member of Technical Program Committee of several
international conferences including the IEEE GLOBECOM 2016.