Subject: [nwcrg] Presenting an implementation of QUIC-FEC in Prague

From: François Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:27:36 +0000

Dear all,

My name is François Michel. I am currently working as a PhD student at
UCLouvain in Belgium. I worked on QUIC during the previous months, especially
on the implementation of a Forward Erasure Correction extension of QUIC. I
have a working implmentation and design for the FEC extension in two different
QUIC implementations. I also performed experiments to evaluate the benefits of
this approach on the protocol. I considered several different FEC Schemes: the
XOR and Reed-Solomon Block schemes and the RLC scheme (both Block and Sliding
Window versions).

The design I implemented is quite different from the current drafts about
coding for QUIC. One of the reasons for that (among others) is that it has
been developed concurrently to the draft redaction. I am still open to switch
towards the design presented in the draft in the future and experiment with
it.

I also performed an experimental study about the impact of recovering lost
data on a loss-based congestion control.

Would you be interested in a short presentation of the current design and
implementation(s) results during the Prague meeting ? I can for sure provide
more informations if needed.

Regards,

François

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:45:17 -0500

Dear François:

thanks  for you note! We had been made aware of a paper you published so were going to contact you about presenting in Prague. So yes you are welcome to share your ideas. It would probably be also interesting to see how to coordinate you work with ours and we can discuss that in Prague. 

Finally if you have code to contribute we will be at the hackaton on the Sat/Sun before the main meeting.

Merci!

Vincent and Marie-José

Marie-Jose Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
+1-781-526-2661
@SocialTVMIT

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 2:27 PM, François Michel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> nwcrg mailing list
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nwcrg <https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nwcrg>

---

From: Vincent Roca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:15:27 +0100

Dear François,
`
Thanks a lot for this contribution, it's very interesting. You’re on the agenda. 
It will also be a good opportunity to discuss possible QUIC/FEC design choices (you mention
you followed a different approach)...

Agenda construction is on progress, we’ll keep you informed about timing later on (github
nwcrg repository is anyway the place to look at in the meantime).

Cheers,

  Marie-Jose and Vincent

> Le 18 févr. 2019 à 20:27, François Michel <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> a écrit :
> 
> Dear all,
>

---

From: François Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 09:00:36 +0000

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your positive answer.

I will also be present Saturday and Sunday for the Hackathon.

Looking forward to meeting you in Prague,

François

________________________________
From: Vincent Roca <[email-masked]>
Sent: 18 February 2019 22:15:27
To: François Michel
Cc: Vincent Roca; Marie-Jose Montpetit; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nwcrg] Presenting an implementation of QUIC-FEC in Prague

Dear François,
`

Cheers,

  Marie-Jose and Vincent

Le 18 févr. 2019 à 20:27, François Michel <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> a écrit :

Dear all,

Regards,

François

_______________________________________________
nwcrg mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nwcrg