Subject: Re: [nwcrg] [Coin] Hackaton: P4 tutorials, setup and tools

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 07:39:55 -0700

Great to hear there is more people in the community :) Actually my idea was
to put people on coding since there is also a nwcrg hackaton that is
working on a codec and it needs interfacing to applications and services
inside and at the edge of the network.

I plan to toggle between the 2 tables (or try to have a common table?).

mjm (with both hats on - bicorne?)

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
Research Affiliate, MIT Media Laboratory
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

On July 9, 2019 at 10:15:57 AM, Salvatore Signorello (
[email-masked]) wrote:

Hi Marie-José,

here's Salvatore a post-doc researcher from the University of Lisbon where
I work with Prof. Ramos. I have been following the hackathon thread on this
list since here  we have a small team of people working with the P4
language and that could be of interest for us.

Unfortunately, we are still not sure we will have time and people on those
days to join the hackathon remotely. Yet, would it be possible to know some
more details about the specific projects teams will be asked to work on? I
only remember an email listing a few ideas (Jeffrey at Huawei), but, maybe,
possible projects have been discussed off-list.

Kind regards,

Salvatore

On 09/07/19 12:41, Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:

>From p4.org:

https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials
In particular look at the  *Obtaining required software* section to setup
your environment.
Printing the cheat sheet could also be a good idea:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8woKyElFAOP6bMd8tRa_Q4SA1cd_Uva/view

This reference to the language is also interesting:
https://github.com/p4lang/education/blob/master/GettingStarted.md
Look into P4 14 (as mentioned at the interim) for some available tools at
the hackaton or 16.
This page also has a list of *Code Examples* but we are still looking for
small projects for people who will not bring their own ideas and would like
to do more than just play with the code.

If you know of other resources please tell us!

And invite people who may not be on the list :)

There will be help from experienced P4 programmers from Noviflow to get you
started and help throughout.

I will post this information to the Materials in our datatracker as well as
on our GitHub site.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
Research Affiliate, MIT Media Laboratory
[email-masked]
mariejo@mit..edu <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Diego R. Lopez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 15:45:08 +0000

Hmmm… Pharaohs used to wear a double hat as crown, to show the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt. Just in case you want to rule us accordingly.

[Double crown.svg]

--
"Esta vez no fallaremos, Doctor Infierno"

Dr Diego R. Lopez
Telefonica I+D
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr2lopez/

e-mail: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Tel:         +34 913 129 041
Mobile:  +34 682 051 091
----------------------------------

On 09/07/2019, 15:40, "Coin on behalf of Marie-Jose Montpetit" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> on behalf of [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Great to hear there is more people in the community :) Actually my idea was to put people on coding since there is also a nwcrg hackaton that is working on a codec and it needs interfacing to applications and services inside and at the edge of the network.

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
Research Affiliate, MIT Media Laboratory
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

On July 9, 2019 at 10:15:57 AM, Salvatore Signorello ([email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>) wrote:

Hi Marie-José,

here's Salvatore a post-doc researcher from the University of Lisbon where I work with Prof. Ramos. I have been following the hackathon thread on this list since here  we have a small team of people working with the P4 language and that could be of interest for us.

Unfortunately, we are still not sure we will have time and people on those days to join the hackathon remotely. Yet, would it be possible to know some more details about the specific projects teams will be asked to work on? I only remember an email listing a few ideas (Jeffrey at Huawei), but, maybe, possible projects have been discussed off-list.

Kind regards,

Salvatore

On 09/07/19 12:41, Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:
From p4.org<http://p4.org>:

https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials
In particular look at the  Obtaining required software section to setup your environment.
Printing the cheat sheet could also be a good idea:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8woKyElFAOP6bMd8tRa_Q4SA1cd_Uva/view

This reference to the language is also interesting:
https://github..com/p4lang/education/blob/master/GettingStarted.md<https://github.com/p4lang/education/blob/master/GettingStarted.md>
Look into P4 14 (as mentioned at the interim) for some available tools at the hackaton or 16.
This page also has a list of Code Examples but we are still looking for small projects for people who will not bring their own ideas and would like to do more than just play with the code.

There will be help from experienced P4 programmers from Noviflow to get you started and help throughout.

I will post this information to the Materials in our datatracker as well as on our GitHub site.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
Research Affiliate, MIT Media Laboratory
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
mariejo@mit..edu<mailto:[email-masked]>

________________________________

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then delete it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e proceda a sua destruição

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 09:30:36 -0700

:)

On July 9, 2019 at 11:45:09 AM, Diego R. Lopez ([email-masked])
wrote:

Hmmm… Pharaohs used to wear a double hat as crown, to show the unification
of Upper and Lower Egypt. Just in case you want to rule us accordingly.

--

Dr Diego R. Lopez

Telefonica I+D

e-mail: [email-masked]

Tel:         +34 913 129 041

Mobile:  +34 682 051 091

On 09/07/2019, 15:40, "Coin on behalf of Marie-Jose Montpetit" <
[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

[email-masked]

Hi Marie-José,

Kind regards,

Salvatore

https://github..com/p4lang/education/blob/master/GettingStarted.md
<https://github.com/p4lang/education/blob/master/GettingStarted.md>

mjm

------------------------------

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario,
puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso
exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el
destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la lectura, utilización,
divulgación y/o copia sin autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de
la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos
que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su
destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged and
confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply to the
sender that you have received this communication in error and then delete
it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário,
pode conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo
da pessoa ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário
indicado, fica notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou
cópia sem autorização pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente.
Se recebeu esta mensagem por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique
imediatamente por esta mesma via e proceda a sua destruição