Subject: [nwcrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 00:15:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Coding for efficient NetWork Communications Research Group RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Coding and congestion control in transport
        Authors         : Nicolas Kuhn
                          Emmanuel Lochin
                          Francois Michel
                          Michael Welzl
	Filename        : draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-08.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2021-04-20

Abstract:
   Forward Erasure Correction (FEC) is a reliability mechanism that is
   distinct and separate from the retransmission logic in reliable
   transfer protocols such as TCP.  FEC coding can help deal with losses
   at the end of transfers or with networks having non-congestion
   losses.  However, FEC coding mechanisms should not hide congestion
   signals.  This memo offers a discussion of how FEC coding and
   congestion control can coexist.  Another objective is to encourage
   the research community to also consider congestion control aspects
   when proposing and comparing FEC coding solutions in communication
   systems.

   This document is the product of the Coding for Efficient Network
   Communications Research Group (NWCRG).  The scope of the document is
   end-to-end communications: FEC coding for tunnels is out-of-the scope
   of the document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Kuhn Nicolas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:25:09 +0000

Hello, 

We have proposed an updated version of the document on coding and congestion. 
This memo offers a discussion of how FEC coding and congestion control can coexist.
This document proposes 5 research questions and 3 research recommendations. 
If you have any comments, please let us know! 

   FEC coding and congestion control can be seen as two separate
   channels.  In practice, implementations may mix the signals that are
   exchanged on these channels.  This memo offers a discussion of how
   FEC coding and congestion control coexist.  Another objective is to
   encourage the research community also to consider congestion control
   aspects when proposing and comparing FEC coding solutions in
   communication systems.  This document does not aim at proposing
   guidelines for characterizing FEC coding solutions.

Cheers, 

Nicolas - on the behalf of the co-authors

-----Message d'origine-----
De : nwcrg <[email-masked]> De la part de [email-masked]
Envoyé : mardi 20 avril 2021 09:15
À : [email-masked]
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : [nwcrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-08.txt

Abstract:

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

_______________________________________________
nwcrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nwcrg