Subject: [OAUTH-WG] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7519 (5648)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:33:21 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7519,
"JSON Web Token (JWT)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5648

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Andy Delcambre <[email-masked]>

Section: 1

Original Text
-------------
JSON Web Token (JWT) is a compact claims representation format
   intended for space constrained environments such as HTTP
   Authorization headers and URI query parameters.  JWTs encode claims
   to be transmitted as a JSON [RFC7159] object that is used as the
   payload of a JSON Web Signature (JWS) [JWS] structure or as the
   plaintext of a JSON Web Encryption (JWE) [JWE] structure, enabling
   the claims to be digitally signed or integrity protected with a
   Message Authentication Code (MAC) and/or encrypted.  JWTs are always
   represented using the JWS Compact Serialization or the JWE Compact
   Serialization.

   The suggested pronunciation of JWT is the same as the English word
   "jot".

Corrected Text
--------------
JSON Web Token (JWT) is a compact claims representation format
   intended for space constrained environments such as HTTP
   Authorization headers and URI query parameters.  JWTs encode claims
   to be transmitted as a JSON [RFC7159] object that is used as the
   payload of a JSON Web Signature (JWS) [JWS] structure or as the
   plaintext of a JSON Web Encryption (JWE) [JWE] structure, enabling
   the claims to be digitally signed or integrity protected with a
   Message Authentication Code (MAC) and/or encrypted.  JWTs are always
   represented using the JWS Compact Serialization or the JWE Compact
   Serialization.

Notes
-----
The suggested pronunciation is strange and confusing. It makes it hard to onboard new people verbally and always requires an explanation of the pronunciation. The standard already has a perfectly reasonable initialism of JWT that clearly refers to JSON Web Tokens. It is jarring to suggest a pronunciation that does not map to the letters of the spec, and in my experience often leads to confusion when used.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7519 (draft-ietf-oauth-json-web-token-32)
--------------------------------------
Title               : JSON Web Token (JWT)
Publication Date    : May 2015
Author(s)           : M. Jones, J. Bradley, N. Sakimura
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Web Authorization Protocol
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Chuck Mortimore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 16:08:06 -0800

Its a good suggestion.   Curious if you’ll get any reaction.   

> On Mar 8, 2019, at 3:33 PM, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth