Subject: [OAUTH-WG] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC9126 (6711)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC9126,
"OAuth 2.0 Pushed Authorization Requests".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6711

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Brian Campbell <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.

Original Text
-------------
   Clients MAY use the "request" parameter as defined in JAR [RFC9101]
   to push a Request Object JWT to the authorization server.  The rules
   for processing, signing, and encryption of the Request Object as
   defined in JAR [RFC9101] apply.  Request parameters required by a
   given client authentication method are included in the "application/
   x-www-form-urlencoded" request directly and are the only parameters
   other than "request" in the form body (e.g., mutual TLS client
   authentication [RFC8705] uses the "client_id" HTTP request parameter,
   while JWT assertion-based client authentication [RFC7523] uses
   "client_assertion" and "client_assertion_type").  All other request
   parameters, i.e., those pertaining to the authorization request
   itself, MUST appear as claims of the JWT representing the
   authorization request.

Corrected Text
--------------
  Clients MAY use the request and client_id parameters as defined in 
  JAR [RFC9101] to push a Request Object JWT to the authorization 
  server. The rules for processing, signing, and encryption of the 
  Request Object as defined in JAR [RFC9101] apply. Request parameters
  required by a given client authentication method are included in the
  application/x-www-form-urlencoded request directly and are the only 
  parameters other than request and client_id in the form body (e.g.,
  JWT assertion-based client authentication [RFC7523] uses 
  "client_assertion" and "client_assertion_type") HTTP request
  parameters). All authorization request parameters, i.e., those 
  pertaining to the authorization request itself, MUST appear as
  claims of the JWT representing the authorization request.

Notes
-----
That first paragraph of Sec 3 was not properly updated to come inline with JAR (now RFC9101) when it changed in draft -21 to require "client_id" in the authorization request in addition to in addition to "request" or "request_uri" - so is  somewhat ambiguous in maybe suggesting that "client_id" isn't required. But it is required based on how PAR works and RFC9101 requiring "client_id".

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC9126 (draft-ietf-oauth-par-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : OAuth 2.0 Pushed Authorization Requests
Publication Date    : September 2021
Author(s)           : T. Lodderstedt, B. Campbell, N. Sakimura, D. Tonge, F. Skokan
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Web Authorization Protocol
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG