Subject: [obscurity-interest] wrt tcpcrypt and obscrypt

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:49:42 -0700

> 1) We should try to drive the widespread use of encryption.This makes
 > encrypted real-time channels (and other things that benefit from security)
 > stand out less than they otherwise might. The general principle is that good
 > network citizens, along with sharing the net gracefully, should help their
 > neighbors hide from attacks.
 >
 > Along these lines, we'd like to encourage the IETF to NOT develop more
 > protocols with encrypted and unencrypted variants. Unless protocols NEED to
 > be unencyypted, they need to be protected. We should also encourage
 > deprecation of the current unencrypted variants.
 >
 >
 > everybody should look at the "tcpcrypt" draft. This has the potential to
 > opportunistically encrypt applications using TCP and nicely augments TCP
 > applications.It might be possible to do somethi'ng similar to do something
 > similsr for UDP.

In terms of the latter, I believe you mean..

draft-bittau-tcp-crypt-00

see also: http://tcpcrypt.org/

I've played with the impl on linux and it apparently worked. ( I left comment 
#46 here: http://tcpcrypt.org/fame.php )

there's also this similar work to take a look at..

Opportunistic Encryption Everywhere - Adam Langley
http://w2spconf.com/2009/papers/s1p2.pdf

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Obfuscated_TCP

AdamL brought his stuff up on the tcp list (not sure offhand of exact list 
moniker) and it got shot down (so he felt, but he didn't try for more than just 
3 days to get acceptance... :)

HTH,

=JeffH