Subject: [obscurity-interest] report on face-to-face 28 MAR 2011

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:48:12 -0500

Marc, Michael, Martin and I had dinner last night. We met up with Phillip
later, and also chatted some with Hannes.

We seem to have consensus on a few points:

1) We should try to drive the widespread use of encryption.This makes
encrypted real-time channels (and other things that benefit from security)
stand out less than they otherwise might. The general principle is that good
network citizens, along with sharing the net gracefully, should help their
neighbors hide from attacks.

Along these lines, we'd like to encourage the IETF to NOT develop more
protocols with encrypted and unencrypted variants. Unless protocols NEED to
be unencyypted, they need to be protected. We should also encourage
deprecation of the current unencrypted variants.

everybody should look at the "tcpcrypt" draft. This has the potential to
opportunistically encrypt applications using TCP and nicely augments TCP
applications.It might be possible to do somethi'ng similar to do something
similsr for UDP.

2) The ietf-privacy list is a good forum for much of the discussion, and we
should participate there.

3) We feel a need for more tactical near-term action. We don't know what
yet. More discussion would be helpful.

There might be an opportunity to do SIP over RELOAD that we should look at.

--
Dean