Subject: [ogpx] Progress on VW inventory interop in realXtend with Cable Beach

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:21:04 +0100

The following is background information of relevance to our work in VWRAP.

*Jonne Nauha* of *realXtend* recently posted this update concerning their
new portable inventory system which is based on *Cable Beach* (small extract
follows):

*Webdav in CableBeach:*

First of all the new webdav protocol based inventory system is located
in Taigas CableBeach (CB) servers. CB InventoryServer has a extension
that is called WebDavFrontEnd. This is essentially a webserver
extending the http protocol to cover webdav protocol functionality.
Mikko Pallari from the project has sent a email in last sprint when we
were implementing this feature in CB. WebDav frontend uses webadvsharp
(http://code.google.com/p/webdavsharp/) as a library to handle webdav
protocol messages, the library has been built in co-operation with
John Hurliman (CB creator) and the realXtend crew as a side project to
allow this feature in the CableBeach servers.

Essentially webdav is a way to browse and modify your inventory
inworld with Naali and outside world with 3rd party webdav clients
(for example Windows Explorer as a network drive etc.). This will
bring more flexibility to access your inventory and webdav protocol
also has built in features like access control that we can use in the
future ie. sharing inventorty folders to others.

*Webdav service endpoint discovery from OpenID provider in CableBeach:*

I made a new feature in Taiga OpenID provider so you can save your
default inventory url to your accounts XRD data and this can and will
be discovered during login process by CableBeach from your openid. If
XRD data is not stored CableBeach will use its own InventoryServer to
discover the default inventory url. The aim of all this that you could
make one Taiga Inventory account, one Taiga OpenID account and set
your inventory url to your openid. *After this you could login with
openid to any Taiga server and it would always get your inventory
from where you want so you could move your inventory with you
from world to another.

*

(My highlighting.)

Jonne's full post is available here:
http://groups.google.com/group/realxtend-dev/browse_thread/thread/882f817e287baeea.

More information on Cable Beach is available here:
http://code.google.com/p/cablebeach/wiki/CableBeachCore1_0 .

It's worth recalling that John Hurliman is syncing Intel's Cable Beach work
with VWRAP's and forsees a merging of features, as reported here:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ogpx/current/msg00338.html  .

Morgaine.

---

From: Meadhbh Siobhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:11:23 -0700

yup. VWRAP will have asset access. nope. it won't be the existing
cable beach protocol. that being said, i've been looking at cable
beach and chatting with jhurliman about ways to make both our systems
better. there'll probably be more drafts later this year.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Morgaine
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jonne Nauha of realXtend recently posted this update concerning their new
> portable inventory system which is based on Cable Beach (small extract
> follows):
>
> Webdav in CableBeach:
>
> Webdav service endpoint discovery from OpenID provider in CableBeach:
>
> your inventory url to your openid. After this you could login with
> _______________________________________________
> ogpx mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ogpx
>
>