Subject: [ogpx] OT: Avatars mount a successful DoS attack against a virtual world

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 09:46:54 -0400

For those who haven't seen this, I think it will be interesting to this group:

"The Legend" Returns In A Completely Different Format, Several
Thousand Netizens Blocked City Gates In Protest.
http://www.zonaeuropa.com/20090905_1.htm

Users didn't like the new release of an MMORPG, so they DoS'ed it with
their avatars.  An excerpt:
-----------------------------------------------------------
The players decided to call for a boycott.  They established Baidu
forums and QQ groups to protest the "false advertising" by Shanda to
"take advantage of their feelings."  Some of the leaders even called
for the players to block the entrances to the various cities at 2pm,
August 28 when the game officially opened.

At 2pm, the game opened as scheduled.  Chu Yu was in his office and
could not directly play the game.  Via QQ chat, he observed the screen
captures that other players were uploading.

At one entrance, more than 40 characters stood still.  They wore cloth
dresses and cloth shoes and stood shoulder to shoulder.  Other players
cannot enter.  Two hours later, more than 2,000 people entered the
chat room.  Meanwhile, several thousand people were blocking the gates
of the various cities in the game.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Interesting.

Barry