Subject: [ogpx] Second Life

From: Bill Windwalker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 06:04:09 -0800 (PST)

I wish to ask how people see the name second life ?
do we see it to be come a name like microsoft when it first started ?
starting out small and taking its time to grow or do we wish for it to come out with a bang and burn out fast?
I for one am hoping it will take its time to grow for the needs of the users and for the needs of the people to come.
but in the long run may in some way make a new internet world a Second Life Internet World you can say.
that will not replace the internet but give us a new form of internet that not only can bring in 3D software in side of second life but give us working plugins that will stem a all new view on how we see software to day.
no longer held back by a old out dated internet that was flat and no image past a 2D but to go on with some thing better as the younger people come to learn 3D modling and more.
after all the only limits are the one we make at this stage.
so all the coding and work we do is very importent to how second life will be seen later on in software history.
keep up the great work.

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:53:54 +0000

Bill, I think perhaps you're mixing up a few parts that aren't really
analogous there.

There is no analog to the Internet in the VW arena, because VWs are
implemented *on top of *the Internet as a transport mechanism, so the
Internet remains, it's not being replaced.

Perhaps what you had in mind instead of the Internet is the Web, which is
not the Internet but just a network of websites that are accessed
*through*the Internet using a particular set of protocols.

But virtual worlds like Second Life, OSgrid, and so on are not analogs to
the Web either, because there is only one Web, but there are multiple
virtual worlds, potentially millions and potentially very diverse.  So any
given virtual world is much more like a website, if one is looking for an
analog.

Some websites are federated too, either as peers through Web Rings or
through hierarchical dependencies introduced through OpenID for example, so
I guess there is some analogy there both to federation of regions into grids
and to interop between separate worlds, although the analogy can only be
taken so far.

The biggest form of "interop" between websites though is through Web links,
which are direct content-to-content links rather than just top-level links
between websites.  Is this analogous to landmarks that can be used to
teleport you from one specific spot in one world to another specific spot in
another?  Maybe.  But VWs offer additional complexities.

We envisage that VWRAP will allow complex graphs of asset access, so
although your avatar is present in only one region of one world at a time,
it may be wearing or holding or interacting with assets that are stored in
asset services running in many different places, including the asset
services of other worlds and independent asset service providers.

>From the perspective of the client application, what will be happening is
that your VW client is creating a complex visual *mashup* out of assets that
come from a myriad of asset services.  Referring back to the Web, think of a
single Web page containing image src links that point to image files on many
different websites --- that gives some idea in 2D of what the 3D mashups of
post-interop VWs will be like in some deployments.

But it's wrong to think of this as replacing an "old out dated Internet" as
you put it, since all of this runs on top of the Internet.  The Internet
isn't going anywhere any time soon. ;-)

Morgaine.

==============================

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Bill Windwalker <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I for one am hoping it will take its time to grow for the needs of the
> users and for the needs of the people to come.
> that will not replace the internet but give us a new form of internet that
> not only can bring in 3D software in side of second life but give us working
> plugins that will stem a all new view on how we see software to day.
> no longer held back by a old out dated internet that was flat and no image
> past a 2D but to go on with some thing better as the younger people come to
> learn 3D modling and more.
> _______________________________________________
> ogpx mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ogpx
>