Subject: [Openpgp-dt] 2021-12-16 DT meeting notes

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:30:48 +0000

# OpenPGP Design Team Meeting 2021-12-15

Present:
dkg
gniibe
Daniel Huigens
Stephen
Justus
Paul

## Agenda:

Let's give ourselves a deadline in the new year to be finished with this 
mode of operation for the DT (weekly calls etc.) so we can bring output 
back to the WG.

### MTI (!48)

https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/merge_requests/48

Looks ready to merge, modulo dkg fixing merge failure

### MUST emit new packets (!99)

https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/merge_requests/99
Discussion about the "newness" of new and migtration and deployment 
schedules.
We seem to agree that any new alg use implies new format.

Q: is there an issue if an old packet formatted public key is 
transformed to new format?
A: if transformed, can work - some v. conservative users don't want to 
change format for long lived keys
Follow on Q: can an implementation do that transformation quietly 
without affecting anything?

We did agree that "compressed or literal data packets MUST be emitted in 
the new format"

There is a requirement that keyrings can be used when stored on read 
only media - we don't want to break that.

Another statement: implementations MUST NOT emit indeterminate length; 
literal data packets and compression packets MUST be emitted with new 
format; implementations MUST generate new data in new format; 
implementations MAY re-format existing transferable public keys from 
old-format to new-format.

Action: DKG will try reformat MR text to see if that brings us forward.

### Last week's plan for fingerprints

SF recapped on last week's chat outcome.

## GCM limits concern on max data per key

There's a CFRG draft on this topic: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-aead-limits/

We may want to add text along the lines that this is yet another reason 
to keep the chunksize low. We have per-chunk nonces so that helps.

Action: Daniel H to add a bit fo text to !102

## Key separation (!101)
Action: DKG/gniibe promise to review/comment !101
Action: Daniel H to see if he has time to do associated test vectors

### Open MRs (policy for urging editor approval)

We ran out of time.

### review of step-by-step branch

We still ran out of time:-)