Subject: Text on PGP directory requirements

From: Peter Gietz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:22:15 +0000

Hi folks,

Since [email-masked] has been quiet since the December IETF
meeting, I thought providing a text as a basis for discussion would be a
Good Thing. The text gives arguments for the importance of a directory
storage model for PGP public keys and states the requirements for such a
model.
The arguments I put forward are a bit provocative to promote discussion.

Sorry for crossposting this to ietf-open-pgp and pgp-keyserver-folks, but I
wanted to invite the members of these lists to the discussion as well.
Since the to be writen ID is supposed to be discussed on the openPGP list
anyway  and since the here attached document discusses the need for a third
generation of PGP keyserver, I considered it appropriate to crosspost. The
discussion should IMO take place on the dedicated mailinglist pgp-directory
though.

Any comments are welcome. 

Cheers,
Peter

________________________________________________________________

       * *      Karl-Peter Gietz   -   Applications Engineer
     *    *
    *           Francis House       [email-masked]
   *            112 Hills Road           Tel +44 1223 302992
   *            Cambridge CB2 1PQ        Fax +44 1223 303005
D A N T E       United Kingdom      WWW http://www.dante.net
________________________________________________________________

---

From: "Ed Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:16:56 -0700

Peter -

Thank you for your very useful summary of PGP requirements.  I see
you've taken into account several new approaches for dealing
flexibly with such more complex data representations.  It makes
my job considerably easier having your summary of requirements
to work from.

I'm sorry more work hasn't taken place since Florida, and re-commit
myself to progressing this effort before Oslo. 

Ed

>>> Peter Gietz <[email-masked]> 03/16/99 12:22PM >>>

Hi folks,

Cheers,
Peter