Subject: Re: subkey signatures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:54:58 -0800

From looking at the source code, the RFC accurately describes how
PGP works.  What do you think gets hashed on public subkey packets,
if not 0x99, a two octet length, and the packet body?

[email-masked] (Ulf =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=F6ller?=) writes:
> According to RFC 2440, if a four-octet length Public Subkey Packet
> is bound to a key, the signature is computed over a packet with a
> two-octet length field.
>
> In violation of the RFC, both PGP and GnuPG reject such signatures.
>
> (Section 5.2.4: "When a signature is made over a key, the hash data
> starts with the octet 0x99, followed by a two-octet length of the key,
> and then body of the key packet. (Note that this is an old-style
> packet header for a key packet with two-octet length.) A subkey
> signature (type 0x18) then hashes the subkey, using the same format as
> the main key.").

Hal

---

From: [email-masked] (Ulf Möller)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 02:33:20 +0100 (+0100)

> PGP works.

Right. I don't know what went wrong while I was trying this with PGP.
It is only a bug in GnuPG; I have sent Werner a problem description.

Sorry for the confusion.