Subject: Workshop on Countering Cyber-Terrorism

From: Clifford Neuman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:18:55 -0800 (PST)

Countering Cyber-Terrorism
			      June 22-23
		      Marina del Rey, California
      A workshop sponsored by the Information Sciences Institute
	       of the University of Southern California

			Call for Participation

Recent studies warn of Cyber-Terrorism and the vulnerability of our
computer systems and infrastructure to attack. These reports identify
damage that determined, knowledgeable, and well-financed adversaries
could inflict on commercial, government, and military systems.  Such
attacks would have severe consequences for the public, and in
particular the economy, which has become dependant on computers and
communications infrastructure.

The objective of this workshop is to identify things that should be
done to improve our ability to detect, protect against, contain,
neutralize, mitigate the effects of, and recover from cyber-terrorist
attacks.  Participants are sought from the computer security,
electronic commerce and banking, network infrastructure, military, and
counter-terrorism communities, as well as those with experience of
cyber-terrorist attacks.  Recommendations may suggest research and
development or operational measures that can be taken.  The workshop
is NOT a forum for presentation of the latest security systems,
protocols or algorithms.  The workshop will address the strategies,
framework, and infrastructure required to combine and incrementally
deploy such technologies to counter the cyber-terrorist threat.

Attendance will be limited to approximately 25 participants.
Participants will be selected on the basis of submitted position
papers that raise issues for the workshop to discuss, identify threats
or countermeasures, or propose strategies or infrastructure to counter
the threat of cyber-terrorism. Position papers should be four pages or
less in length.  Submissions should be sent in e-mail in Word or PDF
format, or as ASCII text to [email-masked].

Please check the web page http://www.isi.edu/cctws for more
information, including a position paper from the organizers which will
be available two weeks prior to the submission deadline.

Important Dates:

  Organizer's Paper Available              April  5, 1999
  Position Papers Due                      April 19, 1999
  Notification of Acceptance               May 1, 1999
  Revised Position Papers Due              May 28, 1999
  Position Papers Available on Web         June 9
  Workshop Dates                           June 22-23

Organizing Committee:

   Bob Balzer, Information Sciences Institute, [email-masked]
   Thomas Longstaff, CERT Coordination Center, [email-masked]
   Don Faatz, the MITRE Corporation, [email-masked] 
   Clifford Neuman, Information Sciences Institute, [email-masked]

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:05:33 -0800

I've produced a book with Tom Zerucha's OpenPGP implementation and a copy
of 2440 in it. It is in the scannable format used by NAI and the EFF. I
know that no one outside the US has been able to look at his reference
implementation, and this means that they can.

It is "OpenPGP Specification and Sample Code" edited by Jonathan D. Callas,
ISBN 1-58368-014-4.

You can get it from Printers Inc. <http://www.pibooks.com>. Their phone
number is (800) 742-0402 in the US, or +1 (650) 327-6500.

	Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  [email-masked]
CTO, Total Network Security                 3965 Freedom Circle
Network Associates, Inc.                    Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 346-5860                              
Fingerprints: D1EC 3C51 FCB1 67F8 4345 4A04 7DF9 C2E6 F129 27A9 (DSS)
              665B 797F 37D1 C240 53AC 6D87 3A60 4628           (RSA)

---

From: Stale Schumacher Ytteborg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:37:57 +0100

>It is "OpenPGP Specification and Sample Code" edited by Jonathan D. Callas,

I've now ordered a copy. Look for it on http://www.cryptoscan.org/ in a
week or two.

Cheers,

  .
Stale Schumacher Ytteborg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hypnotech AS          Phone: +47 222 09602   http://www.hypnotech.no/
Nedre vaskegang 6     Cell : +47 900 86393
N-0186 Oslo, Norway   Fax  : +47 222 06421   http://stale.ytteborg.com/