Subject: Abandon e-mail and go to direct connections?

From: "William H. Geiger III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:41:49 -0500

Since we are talking about creating a mixmaster 3 has anyone thought of
abandoning using e-mail and go to direct connections between the mixmaster
servers? We could use something like TLS for encrypted links. I think that
there would be some advantages in this approach against traffic analysis
of the remailers. If the remailer links were reliable we could have a
steady stream of traffic between the servers injecting messages when
needed. We would still need pooling and mixing on the end remailers before
they sent messages out for the final hop via sendmail. 

- -- 
- ---------------------------------------------------------------
William H. Geiger III  http://www.openpgp.net
Geiger Consulting    Cooking With Warp 4.0

Author of E-Secure - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice
PGP & MR/2 the only way for secure e-mail.
OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://www.openpgp.net/pgp.html
Talk About PGP on IRC EFNet Channel: #pgp Nick: whgiii
- ---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tag-O-Matic: Windows: The CP/M of the future!

---

From: "William H. Geiger III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:05:39 -0500

Sorry about that last post, I don't know why it got cross-posted here,
user error I guess. :(

If anyone is interested there are a few of us that are talking about
re-writting the mixmaster code to make use of OpenPGP formats.

Again sorry for the cross-post.

- -- 

Tag-O-Matic: I don't do Windows, but OS/2 does.

---

From: Andy Dustman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:39:24 -0500 (EST)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> they sent messages out for the final hop via sendmail. 

That's actually been in the works for a long time, probably pre-2.0.3. The
idea was to use a DH key exchange. Another advantage of doing something
like this, probably often overlooked, is that mixmaster packets can be
exchanged in binary 8-bit format: No more ASCII armor and a 25% reduction
in size, at least. Not everyone will be able to make use of this (you'll
need to have at least a PPP connection). Even then, a possibility is to
list a remailer as intermittent, so that other remailers don't try to
transfer messages unless there is already an open connection with that
remailer, or try once per hour. Something like that.

- -- 
Andy Dustman                    You should always say "spam" and "eggs"
ComStar Communications Corp.                 instead of "foo" and "bar"
(706) 549-7689 | PGP KeyID=0xC72F3F1D   in Python examples. (Mark Lutz)

---

From: "William H. Geiger III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:33:29 -0500

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

In <[email-masked]>, on
02/16/99 

>That's actually been in the works for a long time, probably pre-2.0.3.
>The idea was to use a DH key exchange. Another advantage of doing
>something like this, probably often overlooked, is that mixmaster packets
>can be exchanged in binary 8-bit format: No more ASCII armor and a 25%
>reduction in size, at least. Not everyone will be able to make use of
>this (you'll need to have at least a PPP connection). Even then, a
>possibility is to list a remailer as intermittent, so that other
>remailers don't try to transfer messages unless there is already an open
>connection with that remailer, or try once per hour. Something like that.

Well I guess for the remailers that are not on a direct connection we
could switch back to the old format for transmitting messages. We will
still need this ability for accepting messages from and send to the end
users.

- -- 

Tag-O-Matic: OS/2 means...CURTAINS for Windows!

---

From: "William H. Geiger III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:33:29 -0500

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

- --

---

From: "John W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:11:47 -0800

> Sorry about that last post, I don't know why it got cross-posted here,

Apology accepted. <grin>  There are worse sins.

best,

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
  The man that can most truly be accounted brave is he who best
  knows the meaning of what is sweet in life and what is terrible,
  and then goes out undeterred to meet what is to come.
  -- Pericles, "Funeral Oration", 479 B.C.
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------