Subject: Re: PGP Keyserver Synchronization Protocol

From: Jim Gillogly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:16:30 -0700

William H. Geiger III wrote:
> Actually MD5 seems too large for this but I don't know a good replacement
> that would be smaller than MD5 but still large enough to be collision
> resistant.

Would Bernstein's hash127 (somewhat faster than MD5) be suitable for
this application?  It's at ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/hash127.html .
-- 
	Jim Gillogly
	Sterday, 2 Lithe S.R. 1999, 16:13
	12.19.6.5.8, 12 Lamat 16 Zotz, Ninth Lord of Night

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 1999 22:48:34 -0000

Paul Koning writes:
> There's CRC-32 of course, nice and fast.  If you need longer, there's
> CRC-64, don't know a good polynomial for that but I know there is one.

One possibility is x^64+x^11+x^2+x+1. However, hash127, which Jim
already mentioned, is faster in software than a heavily optimized
CRC-64, and has better error-detecting guarantees than a CRC-127.

---Dan