Subject: [OPS-AREA] preliminary agenda of the OPS Area Meetings at IETF-68

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:57:21 +0200

Please find below the preliminary agenda of the OPS Area Meetings at
IETF-68 including the mini-BOFs schedules. 

Comments, questions and proposals for changes are welcome. 

Dan

--- subject to change --- 

Meeting : IETF68, Monday March 19, 2007 and Wednesday March 21, 2007 

Location: Congress II, Monday March 19, 2007 15:20 to 17:20 and Congress
I, Wednesday March 21, 2007 13:00 to 16:10 

Chairs : David Kessens ([email-masked]), Dan Romascanu
([email-masked]), Ron Bonica ([email-masked]) 

Jabber : [email-masked] URL : http://www.ops.ietf.org/ Agenda :
version 0.1 (draft)
============================================================== 

Meeting 1 - Monday March 19, 2007 15:20 to 17:20 

1. Meeting Administrivia ADs (total: 5 min) 

Mailing list and URL 
Minutes Scribe 
Jabber Scribe 
Blue Sheets 
2. Mini-BOF A: COPS push mode policy configuration - Tom Taylor and Tina
Tsou (total: 30 min) 

This mini-BOF is requested to gain comments on a technical proposal to
reduce the number of messages required when COPS is used to support push
mode policy configuration, where each request-state corresponds to an
user session. The essence of this proposal is to allow the PDP to
request the opening of a new request-state in the same message that
sends down policy to be stored against this request-state. At the other
end of the session life cycle, allow the PDP to delete a request-state.
The proposed extensions to COPS could save two to three messages per
session, depending on the details that are finally agreed. 

I-D: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xu-cops-push-00.txt 

3. Mini-BOF B: - Manageability and Operational Guidelines - David
Harrington (total: 30 min) 

We need to develop multi-protocol manageability and operational
guidelines for developers of protocols in the IETF. An internet-draft
has been published that summarizes previous work on this goal as a
starting point. This work would lead to either a WG, if enough people
want to be involved, or a design team to get the document finished. If
we can get enough feedback from operators and from protocol designers,
this could lead to a BCP; with limited input it would lead to an
Informational RFC instead. 

I-D:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-harrington-operations-and-mana
gement-00.txt 

4. Mini-BOF C: Best Current Practices in Operations and Management -
David Harrington (total: 20 min) 

This would be an effort to get operators together in a WG to develop a
set of best current practices, and a description of supporting
technologies, for manageability and operations, similar to the work done
in the OpSec? WG. There will not be an internet-draft published prior to
ietf68. A WG should be created for operators to do this work. 

5. Improved Efficiency of the OPS Area - proposal for the formation of a
OPS Area WG - ADs (total: 20 min) 

6. Open Microphone - 15 min 

-------------------------

Meeting 2 - Wednesday March 21, 2007 - 13:00 to 16:10 

1. Meeting Administrivia ADs (total: 5 min) 

Mailing list and URL 
Minutes Scribe 
Jabber Scribe 
Blue Sheets 
2. Mini-BOF D: NE/facilities/lines/protocols/services data modeling -
Michael Alexander (total: 40 min) 

Network Management (NM) standards have traditionally been focused on
protocols, such as pertaining to configuration management and discovery.
Yet, all areas of Network Management, ranging from Element Management
(EM) to Network Management Systems (NMS) and Service Management Systems
have in common that they critically rely on underlying data structures
describing devices and services being managed. Network elements (NE)
frequently spawn ten thousands of managed objects, such as for a
multiservice switch...Traditionally, standardization of access-methods
(protocols), discovery, etc. have received most attention, while the
more heterogeneous data models and data modeling per saw comparatively
less. As there are real possibilities to standardize underlying and
universal commonalities in EMS/NMS/Service Management Systems on the one
side and managed attributes of NEs, protocols, transmission facilities,
lines and services on the other, the two distributions should be closer
aligned. Despite the complexity, it is possible to identify and define
frameworks and meta models of each constituent and their relation to
each other, that would substantially ease the management of present and
future devices, networks and services. 

I-D: draft-alexan-datamod-00.txt 

3. Mini-BOF E: MIB module editing in XML : Emile Stephan (total: 20 min)

Present the state of the art of editing MIB module in XML; Introduce a
basic template to edit SMI items in pure XML instead of in raw text;
Propose a simple XML template for SMI items; discuss the connections
with XML schema and network management protocols. 

I-D:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stephan-ops-xml-mib-module-tem
plate-00.txt 

4. Mini-BOF F: Japanese Data Model Standards: Tomoyuki Iijima (total: 20
min) 

I'd like to show the data model examples we developed and was adopted in
the Japanese Standard body. 

We developed data models of VLAN, Filter (Access Control List), and so
on and those data models were adopted by Japanese standardization body
called INTAP/OSMIC as standard data models. I'd like to make our data
model examples be adopted as an Informational RFC. 

I-D:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iijima-ngo-vlandatamodel-00.tx
t 

5. Mini-BOF G: OWL techniques for MIB to XML documents and schema
translation - Bob Natale (total: 40 min) 

Specification of a standard methodology for translating SNMP MIBs into
outputs more directly usable by emerging SOA/web services management
tools, and specification of a standard methodology for validating those
translations. Appropriate translation outputs are TBD by the WG, but can
be expected to include one or more of the following: XML, RDF, WSDL,
WS-Policy, WS-Event/Notification, Ontology. The translation output(s)
should allow for extension of the respective managed element data model
in the native SOA/web services environment. Because of the extensibility
objective, reverse translation back into SNMP MIB format is a non-goal
of the WG, but the possibility should be considered when weighing
alternatives. 

I-D:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-natale-snmp-mibs-to-ontology-0
0.txt 

6. Open microphone (total: 50 min) 

7. Late Submission - requirements to tunneling protocols OAM - KIKUCHI
Yutaka (total: 15 min) 

This draft describes requirements to measure end-to-end qualities of
tunnels passively and to monitor them via SNMP. This feature is
necessary for Service Providers, especially, who provide transports to
users using tunnels. In addition, the draft shows an example to measure
Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnels. 

I-D:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iijima-ngo-vlandatamodel-00.tx
t 

_______________________________________________
OPS-AREA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area

---

From: KIKUCHI Yutaka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:11:12 +0900 (JST)

Dear Dan-san, and other OPS area members,

> Meeting 2 - Wednesday March 21, 2007 - 13:00 to 16:10 

snip...

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iijima-ngo-vlandatamodel-00.txt 

We appreciate your consideration to our late submission.
Please correct the last URL. This should be:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kikuchi-tunnel-measure-req-00.txt

-- Regards, Yu.