Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: WG Action: Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis WG (httpbis)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:55:23 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Action: Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis WG (httpbis) 

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Application Area.  
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

+++

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis (httpbis)
==========================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>

Application Area Director(s):
Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/

Description of the group:

HTTP is one of the most successful and widely-used protocols on the
Internet today. However, its specification has several editorial issues.
Additionally, after years of implementation and extension, several
ambiguities have become evident, impairing interoperability and the
ability to easily implement and use HTTP.

The working group will refine RFC2616 to:
 * Incorporate errata and updates (e.g., references, IANA  registries,
ABNF)
 * Fix editorial problems which have led to misunderstandings of  the
specification
 * Clarify conformance requirements
 * Remove known ambiguities where they affect interoperability
 * Clarify existing methods of extensibility
 * Remove or deprecate those features that are not widely  implemented
and also unduly affect interoperability
 * Where necessary, add implementation advice
 * Document the security properties of HTTP and its associated
mechanisms (e.g., Basic and Digest authentication, cookies, TLS) for
common applications

In doing so, it should consider:
 * Implementer experience
 * Demonstrated use of HTTP
 * Impact on existing implementations and deployments

The Working Group must not introduce a new version of HTTP and should
not add new functionality to HTTP. The WG is not tasked with producing
new methods, headers, or extension mechanisms, but may introduce new
protocol elements if necessary as part of revising existing
functionality which has proven to be problematic

The Working Group's specification deliverables are:
 * A document that is suitable to supersede RFC 2616
 * A document cataloguing the security properties of HTTP

Goals and Milestones:
 Nov 2007 - First HTTP Revision Internet Draft  Feb 2008 - First HTTP
Security Properties Internet Draft  Jun 2008 - Request Last Call for
HTTP Revision  Jul 2008 - Request Last Call for HTTP Security Properties
Oct 2008 - Submit HTTP Revision to IESG for consideration as a Draft
Standard  Oct 2008 - Submit HTTP Security Properties to IESG for
consideration  as Informational

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

_______________________________________________
OPS-AREA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area