Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Network File System Version 4 WG (nfsv4)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:01:53 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Network File System Version 4 WG
(nfsv4) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Network File System
Version 4 (nfsv4) working group in the Transport Area of the IETF.  
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only. Please sng of data from
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6" <draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt>;
waiting for more experience with IPv6 deployment Feb 08 WG last call for
"Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00>
Mar 08 Submit "Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942-00> to IESG for Informational Apr 08 2nd WG
last call for "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and
"DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00>
May 08 Submit "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00> to IESG for Proposed
Standard Jun 08 WG last call on "Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour"
<draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00>
Jul 08 Submit "Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour" to IESG
<draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00> for Informational Jul 08 Submit
"DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and "DHCPv6 Server Reply
Sequence Number Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00> to IESG for Proposed Standard Jul
08 Recharter, if needed

_______________________________________________
OPS-AREA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:01:53 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Network File System Version 4 WG
(nfsv4) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Network File System
Version 4 (nfsv4) working group in the Transport Area of the IETF.  
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 16.

+++

Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)
======================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> Lars Eggert
<[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/index.html

Description of Working Group:

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard for file sharing. To maintain the
utility and currency of NFS Version 4, the working group is chartered to
maintain the existing NFSv4 and related specifications, such as RPC and
XDR and progress these specifications along the standards track. The
group is also chartered to design an NFSv4.1 minor-version extension
that adds a carefully-selected set of features

The current charter items are:

(1) NFS Version 4 Maintenance

Under this charter item, the WG correct errors and ambiguities in the
protocol currently specified in RFC 3530 and advances it along the
standards track. Extensions of any other kind are out of scope under
this charter item.

(2) NFS Version 4 Minor Version

NFS Version 4 contains within it the capability for minor versioning.
Under this charter item, the WG develops a minor-version extension to
NFSv4 that includes the following feature additions:

- improve correctness around non-idempotent operations

- enable delegation reclaims

- support clustered file server deployments as defined by Parallel NFS
(pNFS)

(3) RPC and XDR protocol maintenance

The NFSv4 protocol depends on two related specifications: ONC RPC and
XDR. Similar to charter item (1), the WG corrects errors and ambiguities
in the ONC RPC and XDR protocols currently specified by RFCs 1831, 1833
and 2203. In conjunction with the advancement of the NFSv4 specification
along the standards track, the WG will also advance the ONC RPC and XDR
dependencies. The WG will also update the ONC RPC specification for
compatibility with IPv6.
Additionally, it will create an IANA registry for RPC program numbers
and seed it with a registry Sun has been maintaining.

Goals and Milestones [replaces all current not "DONE" milestones]:

DONE Request publication of "NFS RDMA Problem Statement"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement) as Informational

DONE Request publication of "DMA Transport for ONC RPC"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma) as Proposed Standard

DONE Request publication of "NFS Direct Data Placement"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect) as Proposed Standard

Dec 2007 Request publication of "RPC: Remote Procedure Call Protocol
Specification Version 2" (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis) as Proposed
Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "NFSv4 Minor Version 1"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1) as Proposed Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "Object-based pNFS Operations"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-obj) as Proposed Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "pNFS Block/Volume Layout"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block) as Proposed Standard

end your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 16.

+++

Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)
======================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> Lars Eggert
<[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/index.html

Description of Working Group:

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard for file sharing. To maintain the
utility and currency of NFS Version 4, the working group is chartered to
maintain the existing NFSv4 and related specifications, such as RPC and
XDR and progress these specifications along the standards track. The
group is also chartered to design an NFSv4.1 minor-version extension
that adds a carefully-selected set of features

The current charter items are:

(1) NFS Version 4 Maintenance

Under this charter item, the WG correct errors and ambiguities in the
protocol currently specified in RFC 3530 and advances it along the
standards track. Extensions of any other kind are out of scope under
this charter item.

(2) NFS Version 4 Minor Version

NFS Version 4 contains within it the capability for minor versioning.
Under this charter item, the WG develops a minor-version extension to
NFSv4 that includes the following feature additions:

- improve correctness around non-idempotent operations

- enable delegation reclaims

- support clustered file server deployments as defined by Parallel NFS
(pNFS)

(3) RPC and XDR protocol maintenance

The NFSv4 protocol depends on two related specifications: ONC RPC and
XDR. Similar to charter item (1), the WG corrects errors and ambiguities
in the ONC RPC and XDR protocols currently specified by RFCs 1831, 1833
and 2203. In conjunction with the advancement of the NFSv4 specification
along the standards track, the WG will also advance the ONC RPC and XDR
dependencies. The WG will also update the ONC RPC specification for
compatibility with IPv6.
Additionally, it will create an IANA registry for RPC program numbers
and seed it with a registry Sun has been maintaining.

Goals and Milestones [replaces all current not "DONE" milestones]:

DONE Request publication of "NFS RDMA Problem Statement"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement) as Informational

DONE Request publication of "DMA Transport for ONC RPC"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma) as Proposed Standard

DONE Request publication of "NFS Direct Data Placement"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect) as Proposed Standard

Dec 2007 Request publication of "RPC: Remote Procedure Call Protocol
Specification Version 2" (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis) as Proposed
Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "NFSv4 Minor Version 1"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1) as Proposed Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "Object-based pNFS Operations"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-obj) as Proposed Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "pNFS Block/Volume Layout"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block) as Proposed Standard