Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Dynamic Host Configuration WG (dhc)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:01:38 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Dynamic Host Configuration WG (dhc) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Dynamic Host Configuration
(dhc) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF. The IESG has not
made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below
for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 16.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Stig Venaas <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/index.html

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a "Draft Standard" and is
documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6 is currently a "Proposed
Standard" and is documented in RFC 3315. Subsequent RFCs document
additional options and other enhancements to the specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing DHCP options or other extensions
(for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG is expected to review all proposed
extensions to DHCP to ensure that they are consistent with the DHCP
specification and other option formats, that they do not dFrom [email-masked] Tue Oct 09 16:03:55 2007
Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:01:38 +0200
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
Cc: 
Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Dynamic Host Configuration WG
	(dhc) 

-----Original Message-----
From: IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Dynamic Host Configuration WG (dhc) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Dynamic Host Configuration
(dhc) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF. The IESG has not
made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below
for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 16.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Stig Venaas <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/index.html

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a "Draft Standard" and is
documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6 is currently a "Proposed
Standard" and is documented in RFC 3315. Subsequent RFCs document
additional options and other enhancements to the specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing DHCP options or other extensions
(for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG is expected to review all proposed
extensions to DHCP to ensure that they are consistent with the DHCP
specification and other option formats, that they do not duplicate
existing mechanisms, etc. Generally speaking, the DHC WG will not be
responsible for evaluating the semantic content of proposed options.
Similarly, the ownership of specifications typically belongs the
relevant working group that needs more functionality from DHCP, not the
DHC WG. The DHC WG coordinates reviews of the proposed options together
with those working groups. It is required that those working groups have
consensus to take on the work and that the work is within their charter.
Exceptionally, with AD agreement, this same process can also be used for
Individual Submissions originating outside WGs.

However, the DHC WG can in some cases develop its own options that
relate to either maintenance of existing specifications or improvements
in the operation of the DHCP infrastructure itself.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* Develop extensions to the DHCP infrastructure as required to meet new
applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently in
development are:

- Subnet allocation mechanisms
- Virtual subnet identification option
- Option for passing DNS domain information in DHCPv6
- DHCP relay agent assignment notification in DHCPv6
- Option for DHCPv6 server reply sequence numbers
- Rebinding capability for DHCPv6 Reconfigure messages
| - Behavior of layer 2 relay agents

The adoption of new items requires explicit agreement from the AD or
rechartering.

* Write analyses of the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications, including RFC
2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and other RFCs defining additional options,
which identifies ambiguities, contradictory specifications and other
obstacles to development of interoperable implementations. Recommend a
process for resolving identified problems and incorporating the
resolutions into the DHCP specification.

Secondly, advance DHCPv4 (RFC 2131 and RFC 2132) and DHCPv6 (RFC
3315) in IETF Standards Track.

Thirdly, specify guidelines for creating new DHCP options, and report on
the status of DHCPv4 option reclassification.

* Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6. Hosts that include
implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use DHCP
to obtain configuration settings (including assigned addresses) for both
IPv4 and IPv6. The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC 2131, RFC 2132,
RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly explain how a dual-stack
host uses DHCP to obtain configuration settings for both IP stacks. The
DHC WG will evaluate solutions for configuration of dual-stack hosts
through DHCP and select a solution that will be developed and published
by the WG.

* Hold a discussion whether on-link prefix information and default
router information is needed in DHCP in addition to router
advertisements. Actual solutions are out of scope for the WG, however.

Milestones:

Done WG last call for "Subnet Allocation Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04>
Done WG last call on "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
<draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> Oct 07 Submit "Subnet Allocation Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04> to IESG for Proposed Standard Nov 07 WG
last call on "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines>
Nov 07 Submit "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
<draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> and <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id> to IESG
for Proposed Standard Dec 07 WG last call for "Domain Suffix Option for
DHCPv6"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain>
Jan 08 Submit "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain> to IESG for Proposed Standard Jan
08 Submit "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines> to IESG for Best Current Practice Jan
08 Develop plan for advancing DHCPv4 and DHCPv6; plan to include
completion of DHCPv4 specification review report, "Implementation Issues
with RFC 2131"
<draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-02> for Informational Feb 08 WG last call
for "Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942-00>
Feb 08 WG last call for "Dual-stack clients and mergiuplicate
existing mechanisms, etc. Generally speaking, the DHC WG will not be
responsible for evaluating the semantic content of proposed options.
Similarly, the ownership of specifications typically belongs the
relevant working group that needs more functionality from DHCP, not the
DHC WG. The DHC WG coordinates reviews of the proposed options together
with those working groups. It is required that those working groups have
consensus to take on the work and that the work is within their charter.
Exceptionally, with AD agreement, this same process can also be used for
Individual Submissions originating outside WGs.

However, the DHC WG can in some cases develop its own options that
relate to either maintenance of existing specifications or improvements
in the operation of the DHCP infrastructure itself.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* Develop extensions to the DHCP infrastructure as required to meet new
applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently in
development are:

- Subnet allocation mechanisms
- Virtual subnet identification option
- Option for passing DNS domain information in DHCPv6
- DHCP relay agent assignment notification in DHCPv6
- Option for DHCPv6 server reply sequence numbers
- Rebinding capability for DHCPv6 Reconfigure messages
| - Behavior of layer 2 relay agents

The adoption of new items requires explicit agreement from the AD or
rechartering.

* Write analyses of the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications, including RFC
2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and other RFCs defining additional options,
which identifies ambiguities, contradictory specifications and other
obstacles to development of interoperable implementations. Recommend a
process for resolving identified problems and incorporating the
resolutions into the DHCP specification.

Secondly, advance DHCPv4 (RFC 2131 and RFC 2132) and DHCPv6 (RFC
3315) in IETF Standards Track.

Thirdly, specify guidelines for creating new DHCP options, and report on
the status of DHCPv4 option reclassification.

* Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6. Hosts that include
implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use DHCP
to obtain configuration settings (including assigned addresses) for both
IPv4 and IPv6. The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC 2131, RFC 2132,
RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly explain how a dual-stack
host uses DHCP to obtain configuration settings for both IP stacks. The
DHC WG will evaluate solutions for configuration of dual-stack hosts
through DHCP and select a solution that will be developed and published
by the WG.

* Hold a discussion whether on-link prefix information and default
router information is needed in DHCP in addition to router
advertisements. Actual solutions are out of scope for the WG, however.

Milestones:

Done WG last call for "Subnet Allocation Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04>
Done WG last call on "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
<draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> Oct 07 Submit "Subnet Allocation Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04> to IESG for Proposed Standard Nov 07 WG
last call on "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines>
Nov 07 Submit "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
<draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> and <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id> to IESG
for Proposed Standard Dec 07 WG last call for "Domain Suffix Option for
DHCPv6"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain>
Jan 08 Submit "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain> to IESG for Proposed Standard Jan
08 Submit "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines> to IESG for Best Current Practice Jan
08 Develop plan for advancing DHCPv4 and DHCPv6; plan to include
completion of DHCPv4 specification review report, "Implementation Issues
with RFC 2131"
<draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-02> for Informational Feb 08 WG last call
for "Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942-00>
Feb 08 WG last call for "Dual-stack clients and merging of data from
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6" <draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt>;
waiting for more experience with IPv6 deployment Feb 08 WG last call for
"Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00>
Mar 08 Submit "Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942-00> to IESG for Informational Apr 08 2nd WG
last call for "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and
"DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00>
May 08 Submit "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00> to IESG for Proposed
Standard Jun 08 WG last call on "Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour"
<draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00>
Jul 08 Submit "Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour" to IESG
<draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00> for Informational Jul 08 Submit
"DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and "DHCPv6 Server Reply
Sequence Number Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00> to IESG for Proposed Standard Jul
08 Recharter, if needed

_______________________________________________
OPS-AREA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area