Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: WG Review: Recharter of EAP Method Update (emu)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:04:55 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of EAP Method Update (emu) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the EAP Method Update working
group in the Security Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made any
determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Wednesday, June 4, 2008.

EAP Method Update (emu)
========================

Last Modified: 2008-05-22

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Joseph Salowey ([email-masked])
Alan DeKok ([email-masked])

Security Area Director(s):
Tim Polk ([email-masked])
Pasi Eronen ([email-masked])

Security Area Advisor:
Pasi Eronen ([email-masked])

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emu
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/emu/current/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) [RFC 3748] is a network
access authentication framework used in the PPP, 802.11, 802.16, VPN,
PANA, and in some functions in 3G networks. EAP itself is a simple
protocol and actual authentication happens in EAP methods.

Over 40 different EAP methods exist. Most of these methods are
proprietary methods, but some are documented in informational RFCs. In
the past the lack of documented, open specifications has been a
deployment and interoperability problem. There are currently only two
EAP methods in the standards track that implement features such as key
derivation that are required for many modern applications.
Authentication types and credentials continue to evolve as do
requirements for EAP methods.

This group is chartered to work on the following types of mechanisms to
meet requirements relevant to EAP methods in RFC 3748, RFC 4017, RFC
4962 and EAP Keying:

- A mechanism based on strong shared secrets. This mechanism should
strive to be simple and compact for implementation in resource
constrained environments.

- A document that defines EAP channel bindings and provides guidance for
establishing EAP channel bindings within EAP methods.

- Enable TLS-based EAP methods to support channel bindings. This item
will not generate a new method; rather, it will focus on adding support
for EAP channel bindings to the tunneled method (described below), and
if possible, other TLS-based EAP methods. Potential mechanisms for
adding channel binding support will be investigated, including tunneling
of channel binding parameters, or a TLS extension, or other standard TLS
mechanism

- A mechanism to support extensible communication within a TLS protected
tunnel. This mechanism will support meeting the requirements of an
enhanced TLS mechanism, a password based authentication mechanism, and
additional inner authentication mechanisms. It will also support channel
bindings (as described above) in order to meet RFC 4962 requirements.

- A mechanism that makes use of existing password databases such as AAA
databases. This item will be based on the above tunnel method.

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 2008 Submit Tunnel and Password Method requirements first Draft Sep
2008 Submit EAP Channel Bindings First Draft Sep 2008 Submit Tunnel
Method first draft Oct 2008 Submit TLS based method channel binding
first draft Oct 2008 Submit Password Method first draft Jan 2009 Send
EAP Channel Bindings to IESG Mar 2009 Send Tunnel Method to IESG Apr
2009 Send TLS based method channel binding to IESG Apr 2009 Send
Password based method to IESG
_______________________________________________
OPS-AREA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area