Subject: Re: [OPS-AREA] ISP Shared Addresses

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:40:39 -0400

P Go Green! Print this email only when necessary. Thank you for helping Time Warner Cable be environmentally responsible.

-----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ron
> Bonica
>
> At IETF 74, Akira Nagakawa delivered a presentation in which he
> suggested the allocation of address space to be shared by ISPs.
> 
> The purpose of this email is to stimulate discussion on that topic.
What
> do you folks think?

I was initially opposed on principle, but have reconsidered.
We have more devices numbered from rfc1918 space than there are 
addresses available under rfc1918.  A largish (at least /10)  
block reserved for infrastructure would allow us to separate true 
"infrastructure" (provider-side equipment) from CPE (cable modems, 
etc.) from customer equipment (usually 192.168).  

The benefit of the additional space is proportional to how many 
networks use it instead of globally unique space.  If eight networks
use all of it, and 100 other networks use some (i.e., they didn't need
a full /8 or /10, but they didn't have to request a /14) that's a
significant
increase in efficiency.

Lee
This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.