Subject: [OPSAWG] WG Action: Operations and Management Area Working Group (opsawg)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:50:01 -0400

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Operations and
Management Area. For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

+++

Operations and Management Area Working Group (opsawg)
======================================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg
Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/opsawg/current/index.html

Description:

The Operations and Management Area receives occasional proposals for the
development and publication of RFCs dealing with operational and
management topics that are not in scope of an existing working group and
do not justify the formation of a new working group. The OPSAWG will
serve as the forum for developing such work items in the IETF.

The OPSAWG mailing list is an open discussion forum for such work items,
when they arise. The working group meets if there are active proposals
that require discussion. The working group milestones are updated as
needed to reflect the current work items and their associated
milestones. All new work items and rechartering proposals will be
brought for approval with the IESG.

The focus of the work will be on topics that govern the behavior or WGs
in the O&M area (e.g., manageability
requirements) and on small, highly focused projects that don't merit a
WG of their own or belong to WGs that have already concluded (e.g.
advancement of documents on the standards track, application
statements, extensions of MIB modules).

The OPSAWG will undertake only work items that are proved to have at
least a reasonable level of interest from the operators and users
community and have a committed number of editors and reviewers. It is
not within the scope of the OPSAWG to pick up failed WG work or parts of
a WG charter items that could not come to convergence on what they were
chartered to do.

The currently active OPSAWG work items mostly fall under the following
topics:

(A) Development of a BCP document that will provide guidelines for
authors and a reference for reviewers of IETF documents that specify new
protocols or protocol extensions about the information about operational
and manageability requirements that needs to be covered in these
documents

(B) Templates and tools for Operations and Management Area Documents

(C) Maintenance and small scale extensions of documents that were
developed in working groups that have concluded (e.g. MIB modules).

Goals and Milestones:

June 2007 - Initial submission for the "Guidelines for Considering
Operations and Management of New Protocols" Internet-Draft

June 2007 - Initial submission for the "SNMP Engine ID Discovery"
Internet-Draft

October 2007 - Initial submission for the "Template for Generic
Management Data Models" Internet-Draft

October 2007 - Initial submission for the "Structured Data Elements
(SDEs) for syslog" Internet-Draft

October 2007 - WGLC for the "SNMP Engine ID Discovery" Internet-Draft

December 2007 - WGLC for the "Guidelines for Considering Operations and
Management of New Protocols" Internet-Draft

December 2007 - Submit the "SNMP Engine ID Discovery" Internet-Draft to
the IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard

February 2008 - Submit the "Guidelines for Considering Operations and
Management of New Protocols" Internet-Draft to the IESG for
consideration as BCP

April 2008 - WGLC for the "Template for Generic Management Data Models" 

April 2008 - WGLC for the "Structured Data Elements (SDEs) for syslog"

June 2008 - Submit the "Template for Generic Management Data Models" to
the IESG for consideration as BCP

June 2008 - Submit the "Structured Data Elements (SDEs) for syslog" to
the IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg