Subject: [OPSAWG] guidelines: Management Considerations

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:17:07 -0400

Hi,

The "Management Considerations" section of
draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management asks whether this section
should discuss P2P versus centralized management.

Should this be discussed in this document, and if so, can you provide
some proposed text?

David Harrington
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:01:57 +0200

(contributor opinion)

I confess that it Is not clear to me what P2P management is supposed to
mean. Is it really P2P vs. centralized or rather centralized vs.
distributed. If it is the latest I would rather see this discussion show
up in Section 3.1 where we talk about operational models. Centralized is
in my mind something the model where for example routers implement MIB
modules specific to routing protocols, and a centralized NMS queries
(sometimes remotely) the agents in routers implementing the MIB.
Distributed could mean the IP phones model for example which typically
auto-configure through proprietary configuration files after booting up
and getting basic addressing via DHCP and implement reporting using
RTCP-XR, RAQMON or SIP. Of course, there are more complex models like
hierarchical models or hybrid models (CAPWAP where part of the
distribution is realized by the managed protocol). 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David Harrington
> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:17 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [OPSAWG] guidelines: Management Considerations
> 
> Hi,
> 
> draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management asks whether this 
> section should discuss P2P versus centralized management.
> 
> Should this be discussed in this document, and if so, can you 
> provide some proposed text?
> 
> David Harrington
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]
>