Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] WG adoption of SNMP <-> SYSLOG mapping documents

From: "Yuquan Tracy Jiang (jiangy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 12:57:37 -0800

It is helpful to converge the management interfaces so that the NMS
vendors and end customers will have less of them to deal with. It will
help simply NMS system design and eliminate some tasks needed to
correlate information passed from different channels regarding the same
underlying event.

By providing a standard way to convert between syslog and SNMP, two of
the most commonly used management interfaces, it will help reduce the
engineer efforts currently put in to manually replicate the information
regarding same underlying event to both syslog and SNMP, and the
inconsistency introduced during the subsequent independent updates. 

Thanks.

Tracy

===========================
Yuquan (Tracy) Jiang
Product Manager
Embedded Management, NSSTG
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Phone: 408-527-3877 (w)
Email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Juergen Schoenwaelder
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [OPSAWG] WG adoption of SNMP <-> SYSLOG mapping documents

Hi,

the chairs of this WG need to decide whether there is support for
adopting (a) a document defining a new SD-ID to represent SNMP
notifications in SYSLOG [1] and (b) a document defining a MIB module
representing SYSLOG messages [2]. For an overview, see the presentation
slides form the Dublin meeting [3].

I believe that the documents are already pretty mature and can likely go
through the WG relatively quickly. There has been quite some support for
this work in Dublin and Rainer Gerhards expressed his support on the
list. I am aware that some people did contact the chairs directly
expressing their support but it might make things easier to move this
forward if people can actually express their support here.

Thanks,

/js

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marinov-syslog-snmp-02 
    (15 pages)
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schoenw-syslog-msg-mib-01 
    (18 pages)
[3] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08jul/slides/opsawg-1.pdf

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg