Subject: [OPSAWG] Network configuration in IP network

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:04:07 +0800

Hi all,
Here are the updated slides for Network configuration in IP network.

The I-D is below.

Comments are very welcome.

Have a nice weekend:)

B. R.
Tina

http://tinatsou.weebly.com/contact.html

----- Original Message ----- 
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:16 PM
Subject: Manual Post Requested for draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement

Manual Posting Requested for following Internet-Draft:

I-D Submission Tool URL: https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/status.cgi?submission_id=19887

Filename:    draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement
Version:    01
Staging URL:    http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement-01.txt
Title:    Network configuration problem statement
Creation_date:    2009-11-28
WG ID:    Individual Submission
Number_of_pages: 8
Abstract:
With the network evolution to all IP, the network configuration needs to be enhanced because of large number of network devices and service tunnels. 
The existing IP network management mainly depends on manual configuration. The cost will be very high if all these work are performed manually and it is a great burden for service providers to deploy and maintain such large scale IP networks. 
This document discusses problems related to reducing network configuration workload and transmission tunnel setup between network devices and NMS (Network Management System).

Submitter: Tina Tsou ([email-masked])

Author(s):
Tina Tsou, [email-masked]

B. R.
Tina

http://tinatsou.weebly.com/contact.html

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:21:31 +0100

> Comments are very welcome.

So what is the purpose of this document? Why did you post it?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:06:22 -0500

Hi,
 
I think the presentation and I-D need to demonstrate that there is a
problem that needs solving, and the IETF is the right group to attempt
solving it.

I do not see anything in the presentation that demonstrates that the
IETF needs to solve the LTE configuration problem. I do not see any
discussion of existing IETF protocols that should be applied to this
problem. 

The need for this extra information was discussed in some detail at
the OPSAWG session in ietf76, but I don't see much of the requested
information.

In section 3.1, you say
"   In a typical IP network, e.g., LTE IP backhaul network,".
is an LTE IP backhaul network a typical IP network?

" In the existing configuration method,"
is this list of steps true for all existing configuration methods?

"Configuring
   service tunnel from NMS is already defined which is not included in
   this document."
Where is this defined?

How were the estimates in Figure 1 determined?

"The existing IP network management mainly depends on manual
   configuration."
What is the basis for this assertion? According to RFC3535 (IAB
Network Management Workshop), 
"   Most devices have a builtin command line interface (CLI) for
   configuration and troubleshooting purposes.  Network access to the
   CLI has traditionally been through the TELNET protocol, while the
SSH
   protocol is gaining momentum to address security issues associated
   with TELNET. "
So I don't agree with your assertion. Remote access seems to be a
major approach to configuration.
I also think it is important to be clear about what "existing IP
network management" means. There are many existing IP network
management tools for tasks other than configuration, such as
monitoring, logging, performance analysis, etc.

The section on problems to be solved for network configuration should
probably start with an acknowledgement of the work that has already
been by the IETF about problems to be solved for configuration,
including the 100+ RFCs that come up in a search for the term
"configuration".

As other SDO technologies build atop IP technologies, the IETF may
need to consider large scale configuration requirements further, but I
do not feel that this document, as written, is a valuable addition to
the IETF work on configuring IP networks.  

David Harrington
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tina TSOU
	Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:04 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [OPSAWG] Network configuration in IP network

	Hi all,
	Here are the updated slides for Network configuration in IP
network.
	 
	The I-D is below.

	Have a nice weekend:)

	B. R.
	Tina

	----- Original Message ----- 
	From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <mailto:[email-masked]>

	To: [email-masked] 
	Cc: [email-masked] 
	Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:16 PM
	Subject: Manual Post Requested for
draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement

	I-D Submission Tool URL:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/status.cgi?submission_id=19887

	Filename:
draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement
	Version:    01
	Staging URL:
http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-s
tatement-01.txt
	Title:    Network configuration problem statement
	Creation_date:    2009-11-28
	WG ID:    Individual Submission
	Number_of_pages: 8
	Abstract:
	With the network evolution to all IP, the network
configuration needs to be enhanced because of large number of network
devices and service tunnels. 
	The existing IP network management mainly depends on manual
configuration. The cost will be very high if all these work are
performed manually and it is a great burden for service providers to
deploy and maintain such large scale IP networks. 
	This document discusses problems related to reducing network
configuration workload and transmission tunnel setup between network
devices and NMS (Network Management System).

	Author(s):

	B. R.
	Tina