Subject: [OPSAWG] New draft draft-claise-energy-monitoring-mib-02.txt

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:11:32 +0100

Dear all,

A new draft version has been posted: 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-claise-energy-monitoring-mib-02

Some of the feedback received from Juergen Quittek in 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/opsawg/current/msg00974.html has 
been inserted already (*) as we received the same feedback from some 
engineers from Schneider Electric.

(*) even if we posted the version 2 of the draft just before Juergen 
posted his feedback on version 1 ;-)
Note: we'll give a detailed answer to Juergen's email pretty soon.

In this version of the draft:
- we clarified power versus energy, including in the OID names
- we have introduced a complete new section containing examples
     * PoE IP Phone
     * PoE IP Phone PC connected to the IP Phone
     * PoE Access Point + PCs connected
     * A building Mediator + Power meters associated with power 
consuming entities (HVAC, lighting, electrical, fire control, elevators, 
etc...
     * Data centers + several servers
- we have introduced the pmethPortIndex  (PethPsePortIndexOrZero TC) and 
pmethPortGrpIndex ( PethPsePortGroupIndexOrZero TC), to make the link 
with Power Over Ethernet MIB (RFC3621) if implemented
- we have introduced the notion of parent/child, which is required when 
the parent must report the power used by children.

As you can see, we have (hopefully more clearly) express what our goal 
with this draft is:
- not only focus on the switch + PoE devices
- but focus on the non PoE devices
- and extend the scope to data center, building mediators, ...

This last point (building mediator) is our main reason why we can't 
always rely on the ENTITY-MIB being implemented in all meters. Sure, one 
day, everything will be IP and that will be easier ;-), but it's not the 
case now.

I look forward to getting your feedback.

Regards, Benoit.