Subject: [OPSAWG] Comments on draft-gu-opsawg-policies-migration-solution-survey-00

From: "yanjie_air" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:29:29 +0800

HI,Gu
     Policy migration in the virulization environment is a very interesting and important topic. I think this draft focuses on the network policy  migration. And I suggest that we could consider the storage policy migration too. When the source devices and destination devices do not share storage, there should be a storage data migration such as vmware's storage vmotion  before VMs migration.

Best Regards
Yan jie

2011-07-11 

yanjie_air

---

From: "Yingjie Gu(yingjie)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:45:25 +0800

Hi Yanjie,

Thank you for your support and suggestions.

I am not sure whether we should also consider storage policy migration when
storage is not shared. But this is an interesting topic, and I think we may
invite expert in STORM into discussion. 

To let experts in STORM has basic knowledge of the problem, I would briefly
introduce the background.

A single physical server in Data Center is virtualized into multiple virtual
machines to take full advantage of physical resources. The virtual machines
are allowed to migrate to other location in the same data center, or even to
another data center, and the running services on Virtual machine should not
be disrupted. In addition to memory and software resources on server
migrating with Virtual machine, network policies also need to migrate. The
policies could be static policies configured on network devices, and it also
includes the dynamic state learned by network devices. For example, TCP
states on Firewall and Address mapping on NAT. Please refer to the drafts
for more examples of the policies. Without the migration of policies,
running services could be disrupted.

Now Yanjie suggest us to also consider policies migration in storage
network, when the source location and destination location of VM doesn’t
use shared storage. 

Any comments and questions are welcome. 

  _____  

Best Regards
Gu Yingjie

发件人: yanjie_air [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2011年7月11日 乐乐22:29
收件人: opsawg
抄送: guyingjie
主题: Comments on draft-gu-opsawg-policies-migration-solution-survey-00

HI,Gu

     Policy migration in the virulization environment is a very interesting
and important topic. I think this draft focuses on the network policy
migration. And I suggest that we could consider the storage policy migration
too. When the source devices and destination devices do not share storage,
there should be a storage data migration such as vmware's storage vmotion
before VMs migration.

Best Regards
Yan jie

2011-07-11 

  _____  

yanjie_air