Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] comments on draft-gu-opsawg-policies-migration. // OPSAWG Digest, Vol 50, Issue 53

From: "Yingjie Gu(yingjie)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:37:13 +0800

Hi Chen Nan,

It’s strange that your email is not posted to OPSAWG. I guess it’s because
you replied to ‘opsawg’ instead of [email-masked], and there is no
self-defined mail address  named as ‘opsawg’ in your mail box. But I may
be wrong. I replied your email and CC [email-masked].  

You are right. 

I am not an expert in Storage Area Network, but I learned basic knowledge of
SAN following Yanjie’s suggestion.  I find that there are also policies on
FC switches, e.g the VSAN(alike VLAN) and ZONE (alike ACL). These are static
policies. I am not sure whether there are also dynamic information generated
on FC switches. 

I CCed the previous email to STORM(Storage maintenance) but was rejected,
because it’s not in scope. L

And I think the cooperation between front-end network and back-end storage
network will be very complicate and not easy at all. I think we need to give
more considerations on this and be very careful for whether to involve this
into the scope of the draft. 

I hope we can get more experts in FC/FCoE area to be involved in this
discussion.

Do you know any of them?

BTW, I revise the title of the email to comments on draft-……, so that
people can know the target of the comments. 

Thank you very much.

  _____  

Best Regards
Gu Yingjie

发件人: 陈楠 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2011年7月12日 乐乐22:47
收件人: guyingjie
抄送: opsawg
主题: Re: OPSAWG Digest, Vol 50, Issue 53

hi，Gu Yingjie

VM（virtual machine ）live migration is one of the key factors in IaaS
model, I am so happy to hear that you guys are also intresting in this area.
Unfortunately, the solutions of live migration are constrained by the
network and stroage conditions, which means that the migration must be
excuted in a LAN and all the host are shared a SAN. So it is very necessary
to start the work to insure the VM migration could be work  through the WAN
& separated SAN conditions. I think the research on the scenarios of
migration is a good beginning.

Follow  Yan jie's suggestions, I think he means the migration within a
single site, in asymmetric architecture or between DC sites all should
consider the stroage conditions to make sure the migration could be excuted,
also the cooperation between front-end network and back-end storage network
should also be considered.    

2011-07-12 

  _____  

David CHAN 

  _____  

发件人： opsawg-request 

发送时间： 2011-07-12  20:43:11 

收件人： opsawg 

抄送： 

主题： OPSAWG Digest, Vol 50, Issue 53 

If you have received this digest without all the individual message

attachments you will need to update your digest options in your list

subscription.  To do so, go to 

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

Click the 'Unsubscribe or edit options' button, log in, and set "Get

MIME or Plain Text Digests?" to MIME.  You can set this option

globally for all the list digests you receive at this point.

Send OPSAWG mailing list submissions to

[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at

[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

than "Re: Contents of OPSAWG digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  Comments on

      draft-gu-opsawg-policies-migration-solution-survey-00

      (Yingjie Gu(yingjie))

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:45:25 +0800

From: "Yingjie Gu(yingjie)" <[email-masked]>

To: 'yanjie_air' <[email-masked]>, 'opsawg' <[email-masked]>

Cc: [email-masked]

Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Comments on

draft-gu-opsawg-policies-migration-solution-survey-00

Message-ID: <008801cc4091$92b4a690$b81df3b0$@com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312"

Hi Yanjie,

Thank you for your support and suggestions.

I am not sure whether we should also consider storage policy migration when

storage is not shared. But this is an interesting topic, and I think we may

invite expert in STORM into discussion. 

To let experts in STORM has basic knowledge of the problem, I would briefly

introduce the background.

A single physical server in Data Center is virtualized into multiple virtual

machines to take full advantage of physical resources. The virtual machines

are allowed to migrate to other location in the same data center, or even to

another data center, and the running services on Virtual machine should not

be disrupted. In addition to memory and software resources on server

migrating with Virtual machine, network policies also need to migrate. The

policies could be static policies configured on network devices, and it also

includes the dynamic state learned by network devices. For example, TCP

states on Firewall and Address mapping on NAT. Please refer to the drafts

for more examples of the policies. Without the migration of policies,

running services could be disrupted.

Now Yanjie suggest us to also consider policies migration in storage

network, when the source location and destination location of VM doesn?t

use shared storage. 

Any comments and questions are welcome. 

  _____  

Best Regards

Gu Yingjie

???: yanjie_air [mailto:[email-masked]] 

????: 2011?7?11? ??22:29

???: opsawg

??: guyingjie

??: Comments on draft-gu-opsawg-policies-migration-solution-survey-00

HI,Gu

     Policy migration in the virulization environment is a very interesting

and important topic. I think this draft focuses on the network policy

migration. And I suggest that we could consider the storage policy migration

too. When the source devices and destination devices do not share storage,

there should be a storage data migration such as vmware's storage vmotion

before VMs migration.

Best Regards

Yan jie

2011-07-11 

  _____  

yanjie_air 

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

URL:
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/opsawg/attachments/20110712/6c721044/a
ttachment.htm>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________

OPSAWG mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

End of OPSAWG Digest, Vol 50, Issue 53

**************************************