Subject: [OPSAWG] 转发：FW: 转发: New Version Notification for draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01.txt

From: "Chris Sun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:12:35 +0800

Hi Peng 

This's Chris, as a technical engineer ,
Thanks for you sharing this network traffic reliability measurement means best practice for us ,
As I know, we always use the packet loss rate to present the quality about live network; 
that's a usual tools as "ping via cli" and "snmp" from NMS monitor , 
the draft mention that the mult-behavior about ping on route platform is so useful ;
it could let me understanding the detail process and a clear resulting , it could trigger I use a collect method to evaluate my network reliability and quality .

BRs
Chris Sun 

>
>发件人: Fan Peng [mailto:[email-masked]]
>发送时间: 2013年7月5日 22:56
>收件人: [email-masked]
>主题: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01.txt
>
>Dear all,
>
>We have updated a complete revision to the I-D regarding packet loss
>measurement , and would like to get feedback from you:
>
>IP Packet Loss Rate Measurement Testing and Problem Statement
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01
>
>The document aims to review methods for packet loss rate measurement and
>problems with them, and provide some guidelines when performing the
>measurement. The document is based on operational experience and needs
>especially when doing performance monitoring on the interconnecting link
>between two providers' networks. We also hope we can find after the
>discussion a measurement scheme that is convenient enough and provides
>consistent results.
>
>Any comment would be appreciated. Thank you!
>
>Regards,
>Peng
>
>
>-----邮件原件-----
>发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>发送时间: 2013年7月5日 21:44
>收件人: Peng Fan; Mach Chen; Lu Huang; Mach (Guoyi) Chen; Nagendra Kumar
>主题: New Version Notification for draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01.txt
>
>
>A new version of I-D, draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01.txt
>has been successfully submitted by Peng Fan and posted to the IETF
>repository.
>
>Filename:	 draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss
>Revision:	 01
>Title:		 IP Packet Loss Rate Measurement Testing and Problem Statement
>Creation date:	 2013-07-05
>Group:		 Individual Submission
>Number of pages: 15
>URL:             
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01.txt
>Status:          
>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss
>Htmlized:        
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01
>Diff:            
>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01
>
>Abstract:
>   This document describes common methods for measuring packet loss rate
>   and their effectiveness.  Issues encountered when using the methods
>   and necessary considerations are also discussed and recommended.
>
>                  
>        
>
>
>The IETF Secretariat
>
>
>
>

---

From: "Fan, Peng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:59:40 +0800

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment. In the current version we discuss a lot about using
ping as a performance monitoring tool and problems in practical use.
Personally, active measurement is rather a limited way to try to estimate
performance, especially when relatively accurate estimation is wanted, as it
is difficult to guarantee that the measurement traffic has the same
experience as service traffic to be measured.

So we are thinking that we might have to develop a new measurement scheme or
extend an existing protocol (say BFD?) to provide results precise enough for
IP performance monitor. Or we may end up using the packet drop count and
other statistics from routers exported by SNMP, though it may not be an
agile way.

Regards,

Peng

发件人: Chris Sun [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2013年7月20日 16:13
收件人: fanpeng; opsawg
主题: 转发：FW: 转发: New Version Notification for
draft-fan-opsawg-packet-loss-01.txt

Hi Peng 

Thanks for you sharing this network traffic reliability measurement means
best practice for us ,

As I know, we always use the packet loss rate to present the quality about
live network; 

the draft mention that the mult-behavior about ping on route platform is so
useful ;

it could let me understanding the detail process and a clear resulting , it
could trigger I use a collect method to evaluate my network reliability and
quality .

BRs

Chris Sun