Subject: [OPSAWG] On the use of meeting time

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:46:14 -0800

We've been getting a lot of requests for time on the agenda for
the upcoming meeting to "present" drafts which haven't been
discussed on the mailing list.  This is a reminder that the purpose
of meetings is face-to-face discussion of issues that haven't
been able to make progress on the mailing list, and to progress
deliverables.  The IETF is somewhat different from other standards
bodies in that meeting time is generally not used for presentation
of new material, and that the work of the organization is primarily
done via working group mailing lists.  The most reliable way to
get time on a meeting agenda is to have a lively discussion on
the mailing list prior to the meeting.

Thanks,

Melinda

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:37:42 -0700

> the mailing list prior to the meeting.

I applaud your attempt to turn back the clock to when people
actually read all the drafts before a meeting (no wifi or slideware
meant there were no other options).

A bold policy would be to ask the room how many people have
read a draft, and then actually pull the plug on the agenda item
if the WG chairs decide not enough people have read it.

> Melinda

Andy