Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [BEHAVE] NATV2-MIB: Proposed additional read-write control on per-subscriber statistics

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 10:21:24 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi -

>From: ietfdbh <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Feb 7, 2015 6:24 AM
>To: 'Tom Taylor' <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [BEHAVE] NATV2-MIB: Proposed additional read-write control on per-subscriber statistics
...
>What impact would this on-off discontinuity have on the multiple manager
>scenario. What happens if one manager is monitoring a subscriber's stats for
>a period of time, and another manager goes in a mucks about with the
>continuity of collection? 
>
>SNMP's design of counters - read, then read again and consider the delta,
>rather than zeroing counters constantly - is done to support the (very
>common) multiple manager scenario. The counters are consistently available,
>which is useful for historical trending, etc.  The dynamic enable/disable of
>collection would seem to defeat that important SNMP design choice, and make
>interpretation of the discontinuous values over time more difficult and less
>useful.
>
>So I think there needs to be considerate discussion of the operational
>impact of such a switch in this MIB.

I think this specific concern could be easily addressed by a read-only
object in the table which reports the sysUptime of the most recent
change to that row's switch setting or RowStatus.

Randy