Subject: [OPSAWG] Protocol Action: 'HMAC-SHA-2 Authentication Protocols in USM for SNMPv3' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-opsawg-hmac-sha-2-usm-snmp-new-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:54:56 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'HMAC-SHA-2 Authentication Protocols in USM for SNMPv3'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-hmac-sha-2-usm-snmp-new-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-hmac-sha-2-usm-snmp-new/

The Document is intended as a Proposed Standard. It Obsoletes  
RFC 7630, also a PS.

To cut to the chase the important and substantive change in this 
document vs rfc 7630 is 

Section 8 and 10 said:

snmpModules 235

It should have said:

mib-2 235

Technical Summary

   This document specifies several authentication protocols based on the
   SHA-2 hash functions for the User-based Security Model (USM) for
   SNMPv3 defined in RFC 3414.  It obsoletes RFC 7630, in which the MIB
   MODULE-IDENTITY value was incorrectly specified.

Working Group Summary

OPSAWG was used and the working group for both the orignal and this 
replacement document. both have extensively reviewed and modula the 
error that was discovered, when populating the IANA registry. The registry 
has been correctly populated however the document errata is sufficiently 
gross as to necessitate correction.

Document Quality

The corrections are minor and the original document was extensively reviewed. 
This version also has benifeted from changes proposed by the secdir.

Personnel

Joel Jaeggli is sponsoring AD.

No appeals, IPR, or additional formal review are anticipated or required.