Subject: [OPSAWG] Alexey Melnikov's No Record on draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-20: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:00:42 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-20: No Record

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've only reviewed a part of the document, so sending you my current comments:

16.4.  MIME Media-type Registration for MUD files

   The following media-type is defined for transfer of MUD file:

    o Type name: application
    o Subtype name: mud+json
    o Required parameters: n/a
    o Optional parameters: n/a
    o Encoding considerations: 8bit; application/mud+json values
      are represented as a JSON object; UTF-8 encoding SHOULD be
      employed.

I am tempted to say "MUST be UTF-8 encoded".

    o Security considerations: See Security Considerations
      of this document.
    o Interoperability considerations: n/a
    o Published specification: this document

Nit: IANA Media Type registration templates need to have fully qualified
references. Use "[RFCXXXX]" instead of "this document" here, so that when the
RFC is published, the registration template can be posted to IANA website and
will have correct reference.

    o Applications that use this media type: MUD controllers as
      specified by this document.

As above.

    o Fragment identifier considerations: n/a
    o Additional information:

        Magic number(s): n/a
        File extension(s): n/a
        Macintosh file type code(s): n/a

    o Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>, Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

I think Ralph's address is wrong in 2 places.

    o Intended usage: COMMON
    o Restrictions on usage: none
    o Author:
         Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
         Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
    o Change controller: IESG
    o Provisional registration? (standards tree only): No.

UTF-8 needs to be a Normative reference (RFC 3629).