Subject: [OPSAWG] RFC 8350 on Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 15:59:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8350

        Title:      Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames
                    in Control and Provisioning of 
                    Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP) 
        Author:     R. Zhang,
                    R. Pazhyannur,
                    S. Gundavelli,
                    Z. Cao,
                    H. Deng,
                    Z. Du
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 65342
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8350

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8350

Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP) is a
protocol for encapsulating a station's data frames between the
Wireless Transmission Point (WTP) and Access Controller (AC).
Specifically, the station's IEEE 802.11 data frames can be either
locally bridged or tunneled to the AC.  When tunneled, a CAPWAP Data
Channel is used for tunneling.  In many deployments, encapsulating
data frames to an entity other than the AC (for example, to an Access
Router (AR)) is desirable.  Furthermore, it may also be desirable to
use different tunnel encapsulation modes between the WTP and the
Access Router.  This document defines an extension to the CAPWAP
protocol that supports this capability and refers to it as alternate
tunnel encapsulation.  The alternate tunnel encapsulation allows 1)
the WTP to tunnel non-management data frames to an endpoint different
from the AC and 2) the WTP to tunnel using one of many known
encapsulation types, such as IP-IP, IP-GRE, or CAPWAP.  The WTP may
advertise support for alternate tunnel encapsulation during the
discovery and join process, and the AC may select one of the
supported alternate tunnel encapsulation types while configuring the
WTP.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC