Subject: [OPSAWG] Alexey Melnikov's Yes on draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-20: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 04:35:14 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-20: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

3.6.  systeminfo

   This is a textual UTF-8 description of the Thing to be connected.
   The intent is for administrators to be able to see a localized name
   associated with the Thing.

systeminfo is provided by the manufacturer (or whoever generated the MUD file),
right? Why would it be *localized* for the administrator? Think of a
manufacturer from China and a sysadmin in Russia.

3.13.  controller

   This URI specifies a value that a controller will register with the
   MUD controller.  The node then is expanded to the set of hosts that
   are so registered.  This node may also be a URN.  In this case, the
   URN describes a well known service, such as DNS or NTP.

You don't list the DNS/NTP URNs until much later in the document. Please either
add a forward reference or list them here.

As per response from Eliot, my earlier comments should have been addressed in
editor's copy:

16.4.  MIME Media-type Registration for MUD files

   The following media-type is defined for transfer of MUD file:

    o Type name: application
    o Subtype name: mud+json
    o Required parameters: n/a
    o Optional parameters: n/a
    o Encoding considerations: 8bit; application/mud+json values
      are represented as a JSON object; UTF-8 encoding SHOULD be
      employed.

I am tempted to say "MUST be UTF-8 encoded".

    o Security considerations: See Security Considerations
      of this document.
    o Interoperability considerations: n/a
    o Published specification: this document

Nit: IANA Media Type registration templates need to have fully qualified
references. Use "[RFCXXXX]" instead of "this document" here, so that when the
RFC is published, the registration template can be posted to IANA website and
will have correct reference.

    o Applications that use this media type: MUD controllers as
      specified by this document.

As above.

    o Fragment identifier considerations: n/a
    o Additional information:

        Magic number(s): n/a
        File extension(s): n/a
        Macintosh file type code(s): n/a

    o Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>, Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

I think Ralph's address is wrong in 2 places.

    o Intended usage: COMMON
    o Restrictions on usage: none
    o Author:
         Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
         Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
    o Change controller: IESG
    o Provisional registration? (standards tree only): No.

UTF-8 needs to be a Normative reference (RFC 3629).

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 14:12:54 +0200

Hi Alexey,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud/

Yes, that was a spurious leftover from earlier versions.  It is gone in
my copy.  I  do wish we could have done better at this, but with the
response Robert's review, I hope I can at least get a link that people
can copy into their browsers to actually find localized content.

> add a forward reference or list them here.

Ok.  Will add forward reference.

And indeed the below are corrected in my copy.

Thanks for improving the work,

Eliot