Subject: [OPSAWG] QUIC-LB

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 15:30:25 -0700

Hello opsawg,

I would like to call your attention to this draft adopted by the QUIC WG:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-quic-load-balancers/
https://github.com/quicwg/load-balancers

Since QUIC is structured to avoid unauthorized intervention by
intermediaries, this is basically a means of server explicit consent to
cooperate with stateless load balancers, DDoS services, and crypto offload.

The QUIC WG is filled with QUIC server implementers. However, there are
basically no L4 load balancer operators in the conversation, so maybe we're
specifying things with no real path to deployment. While we know what the
necessary configuration items are, we don't have the knowledge about what
kind of configuration framework would fit neatly in cloud deployments and
the like.

Is opsawg the right audience to help answer these questions? If not,
perhaps you can point me to a better community for this conversation?

Thanks
Martin Duke

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 20:57:33 -0400

Martin Duke <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I would like to call your attention to this draft adopted by the QUIC
    > WG: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-quic-load-balancers/

    > cooperate with stateless load balancers, DDoS services, and crypto

Interesting.

    > basically no L4 load balancer operators in the conversation, so maybe
    > we're specifying things with no real path to deployment. While we know
    > what the necessary configuration items are, we don't have the knowledge
    > about what kind of configuration framework would fit neatly in cloud
    > deployments and the like.

    > perhaps you can point me to a better community for this conversation?

I don't think you'll find the L4 load balancers in opsawg.

I don't think you'll find many at IETF.
Yes, people from companies that make them, but not the people themselves.
Maybe they will relay the message internally, but I'm skeptical.
I'd love to be proven wrong.

Don't the CDNs, and "Big Tech" companies basically inhouse develope many of
their own L4 load balancers?  So if you have Apple/Azure/Facebook/Google...?

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 07:04:07 -0700

> Apple/Azure/Facebook/Google...?

Yes, so if you're a cloud customer of one of those, it would be great if
the QUIC servers you're deploying are fully supported by those load
balancers. That requires a standard.