Subject: [OPSAWG] Introducing draft-richih-opsawg-openmetrics

From: Richard Hartmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 22:39:01 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to present draft-richih-opsawg-openmetrics[1] to the working group.

Chances are, you have heard of Prometheus[2] in the context of
monitoring and observability. OpenMetrics is a very carefully
considered evolution of Prometheus exposition format 0.0.4 which has
been stable since 2014. With dozens of vendors and projects, 700+
publicly listed exporters and integrations, hundreds of thousands of
active installations, and untold amounts of end users, we are building
a substantial installed base of working and deployed code with solid
organic adoption. Users of the Python client library and Prometheus
have automatically and seamlessly been migrated to OpenMetrics, other
vendors and projects have also implemented OpenMetrics from reference
code already. As of today, there's already a widely installed base of
OpenMetrics in parallel to Prometheus exposition format 0.0.4.

The widely installed base, and the very carefully considered
evolution, mean that there is very limited possibility for functional
changes. This is an effort to document a working system, not to create
a new one from scratch.

We strongly believe in Open Standards, and we strongly believe that
the IETF is the best place for any internet-related standard. (EN 50
600, ITU DWDM, etc. notwithstanding).

As such, it has been our goal from day one to bring this standard into
IETF. Even just following RFC 2119,  and RFC 7282, and RFC 8174 has
been a tremendous help in this effort, as well as in many other areas
of work. We want to give back to this body of work.

I had hoped to join you all in Vancouver this March, but alas, that couldn't be.

We are very, very, very happy to finally have the spec finished to a
point where we can present it to the IETF community. I can not
overstate how much of a burden is off of our collective shoulders just
getting to this point.

I would like to thank Warren Kumari and Andrew Yourtchenko in
particular for helping and encouraging us in the background.

Best,
Richard

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-richih-opsawg-openmetrics/
[2] https://prometheus.io/