Subject: [OPSAWG] Protocol Action: 'A Layer 3 VPN Network YANG Model' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 07:49:53 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Layer 3 VPN Network YANG Model'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Robert Wilton.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm/

Technical Summary

This document defines an L3VPN Network YANG Model (L3NM) that can be
used for the provisioning of Layer 3 Virtual Private Network (VPN)
services within a service provider network.  The model provides a
network-centric view of L3VPN services.

L3NM is meant to be used by a network controller to derive the
configuration information that will be sent to relevant network
devices.  The model can also facilitate the communication between a
service orchestrator and a network controller/orchestrator.

Working Group Summary

There was no controversy.

This model was driven by implementers seeking to use the L3SM [RFC8309]
to provide L3VPN services using orchestrator and controller software.
They determined that an intermediary network-centric (rather than
service-centric) model was required, and they quickly built support
with other implementers.

During the later stages of work on this document, it was determined that
there was commonality between this model and a model for L2VPN.  The
common parts were pulled out into a separate model presented in another
document.

Document Quality

This document notes four implementations: Nokia, Huawei, Infinera,
Ribbon-ECI.

The document shepherd is aware of one other commercial implementation
and one prototype implementation.

Personnel

Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd
Rob Wilton ([email-masked]) iss the Responsible Area Director