Subject: [OPSAWG] Protocol Action: 'A Layer 2/3 VPN Common YANG Model' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-opsawg-vpn-common-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 07:44:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Layer 2/3 VPN Common YANG Model'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-vpn-common-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Robert Wilton.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-vpn-common/

Technical Summary

This document defines a common YANG module that is available for reuse
by various VPN-related modules such as the Layer 3 VPN and Layer 2 VPN
network models.  The intention is to save re-documenting identical
YANG fragments and to provide a common and consistent approach.  It is
intended that possible future revisions of RFC 8299 and RFC 8466 will
also be able to use this model.

Working Group Summary

There was no controversy.

The idea of this model arose in the OPSAWG quite late in the development
of the L2NM and L3NM models, but the authors were quickly able to
identify the common components and build this model.

It is worth noting that, while the L2NM may need a little more work,
this common model and the L3NM are advancing together.

Document Quality

The current version of draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm records four 
implementations of that model.  By implied inheritence, those 
implementations must include implementations of this model. They are
by Nokia, Huawei, Infinera, Ribbon-ECI.

The document shepherd is aware of one other commercial implementation
and one prototype implementation.

Personnel

Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd
Rob Wilton ([email-masked]) is the Responsible Area Director