Subject: [OPSAWG] Opsdir early review of draft-ietf-opsawg-sbom-access-03

From: Niclas Comstedt via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:16:36 -0800

Reviewer: Niclas Comstedt
Review result: Has Nits

This is an OPS-DIR review of "Discovering and Retrieving Software Transparency
and Vulnerability Information" <draft-ietf-opsawg-sbom-access-03>.

This document outlines a model to help discover and retrieve Software and/or
Vulnerability info from devices in an automated way.

I don't have any real operational concerns but have a few comments and
questions.

- I realize the point about vulnerabilities info having a different change rate
than software but why not include support to retrieve vulnerabilities from the
endpoint? Part of this question is driven by that I find the document
inconsistent and slightly confusing in the retrieval distinction

- What is the reason for not having a well known endpoint for the vulnerability
info? I can see that it sometimes is not as clear and useful as the SBOM,
especially with the endpoint retrieval not supported, but wondering if there is
more to it than that?

- In the security section is firmware and software used somewhat
interchangeably? Trying to understand if something specific is meant with the
current wording that I'm not seeing. Also I'm not sure the skewing example
makes sense. I would think it would be very common that a mfr updates the SBOM
on it's server and hence you would often get this mismatch unless you query the
device in question before applying anything to it

/nco