Subject: RE: [Ospf-manet] Initial Scenario Description

From: "Bose, Pratik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:43:16 -0500

Hi, 

Please note long email below which contains a first cut on the
additional scenarios based on the earlier discussions on this thread.
But first a thought for all to consider: the realistic scenarios at hand
come with a mix of different nodes which have different velocity and
radio ranges during the course of the scenario - this characteristic
need not be the reality of specific scenarios below but for any
scenario.

A first and quick glance at the software seems to indicate that GTNetS
does support the capability of specifying different radio ranges and
velocity for nodes. However the current software does not incorporate
this capability. We should consider whether the software can be upgraded
with this functionality , if the effort is not 'too much'. We can then
simulate any desired real world scenario. 

Having said that, the info below presents an actual deployment scenario,
followed by tailored extractions which can be run on the software as it
stands today without the above modification. 

Thanks, 

Pratik

OSPF MANET Scenario Definitions

Real world deployment scenarios for OSPF-MANET are expected to have
different levels complexity. As per IETF-64 the current scenario is
defined as follows: 

Scenario ID: 1
Grid Size = 500 m^2
Radio Range = 250 m
Velocity = 10 m/s
Pause Time = 40 s

The following scenarios are proposed as additions to the above scenario
based on deployment models for different ground and airborne wireless
networks. However while defining the scenario certain constraints of the
current simulation runs may require a 'tailoring' of the scenario. The
scenarios are thus presented here in two steps. The actual deployment
scenario is first described, which is then tailored to one or more
scenarios to match current simulation constraints. 

A typical Actual Ground Deployment Scenario

No. of Mobile Nodes = 300
No. of Static Nodes = 800
Grid Size = 300,000 m x 300,000 m
Radio Range = 1000 m, 2000 m, 12000 m
Velocity = 10 m/s
Pause Time = 1 hour
Radio Range during Pause = 12000 m

The above deployment scenario is tailored into the following scenario
based on analysis of each node's characteristics and the 100 node limit
for current scenarios: 

Scenario ID: 2
No. of Nodes = 100
Grid Size = 150,000 m x 150,000 m
Radio Range = 1000 m
Velocity = 10 m/s
Pause Time = 1 hr
Radio Range during Pause = 12000 m

Note: Scenario ID 2 is arrived by considering only a portion of the
mobile nodes in the Actual Deployment Scenario. It also eliminates all
static nodes from the scenario and picks only a certain type of mobile
nodes with one value of radio range.
 
Scenario ID: 3
No. of Nodes = 100
Grid Size = 150,000 m x 150,000 m
Radio Range = 2000 m
Velocity = 10 m/s
Pause Time = 1 hr
Radio Range during Pause = 12000 m

Note: The only difference between Scenario ID 2 and Scenario ID 3 is the
radio range of of the vehicle. Also it must be noted that a straight
summation of Scenario ID 2 and Scenario ID 3 does not lead to the Actual
Deployment
Scenario. This is based on the constraint of the no. of nodes in the
system and that changing radio ranges are not
part of the current simulation 

The next scenario is for an airborne network. A three dimensional effect
of airborne nodes exists for airborne nodes since they interact with
both other airborne nodes and also ground nodes which adds to the
complexity and tailoring of
scenarios. 

Actual Airborne Deployment Scenario
No. of Airborne Nodes = 60
No. of Ground Mobile Nodes = 300
No. of Static Nodes = 800
Grid Size = 200,000 m x 200,000 m
Radio Range = 20,000 m to ground nodes
Radio Range of Airborne Nodes (LOS) = 300,000 m
Velocity = 300 m/s
Pause Time = N/A
Radio Range during Pause = N/A

Tailoring of this scenario can be as Scenario ID 4 & 5 below. But
Scenario ID 4 requires a change to the capability that different radio
ranges/velocity are specified vehicles in a scenario

Scenario ID: 4
No. of Airborne Nodes = 60
No. of Ground Mobile Nodes = 40
Grid Size = 200,000 x 200,000 m
Radio Range = 20,000 for airborne nodes; 2000 m for
ground nodes
Velocity = 300 m/s for airborne nodes; 10 m/s for
ground nodes
Pause Time = 1 hour for ground nodes
Radio Range during Pause = 12000 m for ground nodes

Note: Certain limitiation exist in this tailoring. First the planes will
sometimes not see each other which may often not be the case with their
LOS range of 300 km. But what this scenario is trying to simulate is the
communication between ground nodes and airborne nodes.

Scenario ID: 5
No. of Airborne Nodes = 60
Grid Size = 200,000 x 200,000 m
Radio Range = 300,000 m
Velocity = 300 m/s for airborne nodes
Pause Time = N/A
Radio Range during Pause = N/A

Scenario 5 forms the other sliver of the actual deployment scenario.
This scenario simulates only the planes talking to each other. In
comparion to Scenario 1 Scenario 5 constructs a smaller grid/range ratio
with faster moving vehicles

_______________________________________________
Ospf-manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf-manet

---

From: Philippe Jacquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:34:05 +0100

Hello, Pratik,

Your scenarios look more manet than ospf-manet. I have inserted some 
comments below inside your text.

Regards,
Philippe

>different levels complexity. As per IETF-64 the current scenario is
you mean 500x500 m^2? otherwise people will have no room for moving;-)

>Radio Range during Pause = 12000 m
If node are randomly dispatched on this wide area 90000 km^2 , then 12k 
m range may not be sufficient to get the network connected. The average 
node neighborhood size could not get higher than 5.5 which is too small 
to get the network in a single connected component (average neighborhood 
size should be greater than log n). However the minimum number on this 
area is 1460 which is not so far.

>part of the current simulation 
Same problem, minimum number to get connectivity with 12km radio range 
on 150kmx150km map is 280.

>Radio Range during Pause = 12000 m for ground nodes

Do you have a specific protocol and a specific bandwidth for the 
network, as well some signal attenuation factor for airborne nodes and 
the required SNR?