Subject: [Ospf-manet] FW: New release

From: "Spagnolo, Phillip A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:51:59 -0800

All,
We would like to announce another incremental release of our
simulation/implementation environment for OSPF MANET.  The February 20
release includes the changes listed below, and can be found at:
<http://hipserver.mct.phantomworks.org/ietf/ospf/>

1) Support for different node mobility and radio range.
The random_waypoint_manet simulation scenario is now instrumented to
flexibly set the mobility and radio range of different routers in the
MANET.  As before, by default, each node is configured with the same
maximum radio range, maximum velocity, and pause time.  The velocity
will be chosen uniformly between 0 and "velocity" upon each movement.
The pause time will be set to "pause time".  At the given "radio range",
the probability of reception will go to zero.  

However, we also allow different combinations of these parameters (a
"group") and allow different nodes to be assigned to different groups
(up to 10 groups are supported):
One mobility group (mg) defines the following parameters (N is the mg):
  -number of nodes:  mg_nNodes_[N]
  -maximum radio range:  rr_[N]
  -maximum velocity:  v_max_[N]
  -minimum velocity:  v_min_[N]
  -maximum pause time:  p_max_[N]
  -minimum pause time:  p_min_[N]
The first mg_nNodes_1 nodes will be defined by mobility group 1, the
second mg_nNodes_2 by group 2, and so on.  The sum of the number of
nodes in each mobility group must be less than the total number of the
nodes in the network.  For each mg, the maximum radio range is defined
by rr_[N].  The velocity is uniformly distributed between v_max_[N] and
v_min_[N].  The pause time is uniformly distributed between v_max_[N]
and v_min_[N]. 

2) Acceptance of LSUs in neighbor state greater than 2-way.
Flooding of LSUs in the OR/SP framework is performed over adjacencies,
and in accordance with RFC 2328, a router only processes an LSU if the
neighbor is in state Exchange or greater.  The MDR draft specifies that
a router should be able to process updates from a neighbor in state
2-way or greater (i.e., overhearing the broadcast transmission).  To
match the configuration of the MDR code, this capability has now been
added by default to OR/SP because we have found a significant
improvement in the performance of OR/SP.

3) New statistic added for measuring flooding path lengths.  
The new statistic "router-LSA hopcount/install" is a measure of the
average number of flooding hops required before an LSA is installed in a
router's database.  The statistic is calculated by keeping track of two
values:  the number of installed LSAs and the total number of hops
traversed prior to each LSA's installation (via a hop count counter
added to the LSA).  Every time a (non-locally-originated) LSA is
installed in a router database, the number of installs is incremented
and the value of the LSA hop count is added to the total hop count.
Every time the LSA is successfully forwarded, the hop count field in the
LSA is incremented.  At the end of the simulation, the total hop count
is divided by the total number of installs, yielding an average flooding
path length.  This statistic can be used to roughly assess how well a
particular flooding/topology control technique is performing, in terms
of minimizing the length of the flooding paths.

Phil and Tom

_______________________________________________
Ospf-manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf-manet

---

From: "Richard Ogier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:08:43 -0800

Regarding the new statistic for measuring flooding path lengths,
I could not find the number of LSA installs in the statistics output,
only the ratio Router-LSA hopcount / Router-LSA installs.
This is *very* important, just as delivery ratio is very important.
If one protocol is successfully delivering each LSA only to
one-hop neighbors, but the other protocol is successfully
delivering each LSA to all routers, then the first protocol
is going to look much better in terms of flooding path length!
IMO, the ratio is pretty much useless without knowing what percentage
of flooded LSAs are actually installed.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Spagnolo, Phillip A" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 2:51 PM
Subject: [Ospf-manet] FW: New release

All,

Phil and Tom